Thread: Emule Resource Hog

JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    When hashing new files, is there anyway around eMule hogging resources? This is completely insane, I have about 150 moviefiles to hash and at this rate they will be done sometime next week. That's if my AMD doesn't catch on fire first....
    I did a fresh install of eMule, long story, and didn't know/remember about re-hashing theses files. Just was wondering if there's a way around this???
    Today is the day.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    you can try lowering priority of files but its still gonna take a while, but at less hogging amount.
    or if you still have your known.met file from your last time then replace over the new one and any renamed or new files will be the only ones hashed.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Is there any other cases of eMule wanting to hog the resources? I have stopped added new files to hash and it still at times will hog...Any idea why? :helpsmile:
    Today is the day.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    the main times when it hogs is when its completing files especially big ones. Sometimes this affects my connection, so it drops a bit when it does this,but always goes back to normal.

Also the more connections you have open the more your computer has to deal with it so try and find the ideal connections settings for you.

Other than that i can't reember times when it hogs that much.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    this post was never here.....
    Today is the day.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    shouldnt be taking this long.
    How big is the file?
    Normally for me it takes 5minutes for a 700MB file on a 1.2Ghz AMD Athlon. Ive never had it wait for more than half hr. If you close it down, and wait till it closes properly and then start it again, it should try and rebuild it again hopefully with more success. You've prob found a bug though.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@30 January 2004 - 21:26
    Normally for me it takes 5minutes for a 700MB file on a 1.2Ghz AMD Athlon.
    That's only about 2.5 MB/sec for your hard drive. You not running any hard drive speedup programs or just have a very old drive?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    well my computer doesnt have a fast processor or a lot of ram compared to standards today.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by Switeck@31 January 2004 - 03:26
    That's only about 2.5 MB/sec for your hard drive. You not running any hard drive speedup programs or just have a very old drive?
    What's a good HD speedup program?
    Today is the day.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by JunkBarMan+31 January 2004 - 23:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JunkBarMan @ 31 January 2004 - 23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@31 January 2004 - 03:26
    That&#39;s only about 2.5 MB/sec for your hard drive. You not running any hard drive speedup programs or just have a very old drive?
    What&#39;s a good HD speedup program? [/b][/quote]
    Actually, there aren&#39;t any really... except for 3rd party (non-Microsoft/Microsloth) ide controller/hard drive drivers. Some motherboard manufacturers have special drivers for their motherboards which may work better than the default Microsoft solution.

However using a dedicated harddrive controller (via add-on PCI or PCI-X card) instead of the on-board IDE controller can make hard drive access considerably faster and lower CPU useage doing so&#33;