Thread: Some Probs With Me New Set Up

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i put everything together today. working ok. the fan is a crazy mofo! it's driving me nuts! and i can't lower the rpm with speedfan for some weird reason!

here's my current probs:
    1. everything is so weird and slow. when i click on my computer, it takes very long time to open
    2. fan is killing my ears!

great temps! 34 on full load and 26-29 idle!! wow! and thats after its oced to 2.8!!!

wat up with the slowness?

EDIT: NOW EVEN WORSE! my computer won't even open. none of my windows will open! and explorer is taking up 100% cpu!!! WTFFFFF!!!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    what have u changed?

if u changed m/board and didnt reformat hdd, the wrong drivers may be installed

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    new mobo, new ram, new hsf

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    um...reformat again or something..thats really wierd.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    have a look in device manager, make sure everything is fine, but i think its better to reinstall windows.

edit: also it down to the actual motherboard supporting the capability ot change the cpu fan voltage, or system fan voltage as some dont

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ya you MUST reinstall windows (more importatnly with xp), expecially when your motherboard is a new chipset.

Did you get teh asus board? i think asus boards hav a setting in the bios to lower the speed of the fans. (a7n8x does)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Rossco, I found the Asus speed control varied the speed between "fast" and "slightly faster"...in other words, not very useful. It may work better with a different fan than my Zalman POS.

Abu, not be be insulting, but did you tell SpeedFan to contol your fan?

SpeedFan>configure>speeds>double click on fan 1> set upper & lower speeds> check box "automatically variated".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i reinstalled windows. there goes all of my installed progs. . i still can't change fan speed. i've messed with speedfan for a while. not working. any other progs that can do this?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Have you tried disabling the Q-Fan option? It may not be possible for Speedfan to control your fan if this is enabled.

Alternatively, have you tried enabling Q-Fan? It may provide you with the options you require without the use of Speedfan, although it appears to have only the options of x/16 or full speed. You can set x to be anywhere between 11 and 15.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by lynx@31 January 2004 - 16:37
    Have you tried disabling the Q-Fan option? It may not be possible for Speedfan to control your fan if this is enabled.

Alternatively, have you tried enabling Q-Fan? It may provide you with the options you require without the use of Speedfan, although it appears to have only the options of x/16 or full speed. You can set x to be anywhere between 11 and 15.
    rite now qfan is disabled. any other progs that can change fan speed?