Thread: No Picture

when i power on my PC everything appears to start up as normal but sometimes the screen stays in standby
    other times everything starts up as normal

please help

i have a KTX BM17E monitor
    A msi gforce FX 5600 256MB
    A gigabyte GA7VR Mobo
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Take a good look at the capacitors on the board.I had the same prob with a mobo a couple of weeks ago.There was a bad run os capacitors a while back and they tend to swell or leak.If the tops of the caps look to be swolen at all then this could be the problem. Give a little read here and it explains what happens and what to look for.One of the symptoms is a intermittant no start,this is what happened to my board.It would boot normally but the monitor would not turn on,after repeated attempts it would until it would not start anymore.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Hey johnboy27, on my motherboard i have noticed a few caps with the tops bulging a little.

I wonder if this is what killed one of my hdd's ?

Thanks for the link btw

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Evil Gemini@31 January 2004 - 18:33
    Hey johnboy27, on my motherboard i have noticed a few caps with the tops bulging a little.

I wonder if this is what killed one of my hdd's ?

Thanks for the link btw
    That would be what your problem is then.They are repairable.I know there are a few guys around my way that repair them for about 50 bucks canadian.How old is your board? Is there any chance of it being under any kind of warranty? I believe the companies that installed these bad runs of caps in the past couple of years were recalling the boards that were effected.If you contact Gigabyte they may still do so for you.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mahammued786's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ObiWan@31 January 2004 - 14:58
    when i power on my PC everything appears to start up as normal but sometimes the screen stays in standby
    other times everything starts up as normal
    same with mine, when i ctr+alt+del, then everything starts up.

mine is to do with my geforce ti4800 256mb overheating. It crashes during long gameplay sometime

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    @johnboy27

i had alook at the mobo but everything looks OK
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Are you overclocking at all?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by johnboy27+31 January 2004 - 19:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnboy27 @ 31 January 2004 - 19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Gemini@31 January 2004 - 18:33

I wonder if this is what killed one of my hdd&#39;s ?

Thanks for the link btw&nbsp;
    That would be what your problem is then.They are repairable.I know there are a few guys around my way that repair them for about 50 bucks canadian.How old is your board? Is there any chance of it being under any kind of warranty? I believe the companies that installed these bad runs of caps in the past couple of years were recalling the boards that were effected.If you contact Gigabyte they may still do so for you. [/b][/quote]
    Well, the board is a soltek 75kav and I have had it for a few years now.

I havent noticed anything wrong with it at all. No crashing randomly no overheating nothing odd. Just that hdd that died on me.

I have left this pc on for 5 days straight once and never crashed.

If they blow, ill have a fun time replacing the capacitors because i havent soldered for a while