Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tales Of An Overclocker

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    John, this is the switch...
    On my board the 3 pin CMOS header is identical to a 3 wire fan header so that's exactly what I used. The center CMOS pin connects to the center terminal of the switch and the two outside pins go to the two outside terminals. It's really quite intuitive.
    When your done, flipping the rockerswitch does exactly the same thing as moving the jumper.
    You might want to find a semi-out of the way place to put it so you don't accidentally clear CMOS while reaching for the reset button or the like...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    so a spdt switch then. the only thing with that though is that you may accidentally boot with the clear cmos in place.

can anything happen with boards booting with it in place.

would a double throw push switch not be better, so when in normal position, the buttion is up, and when u push it contacts the clear cmos.

edit link

i know its a bit big, but im sure there would be smaller versions,

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Livy,
    My switch has 6 terminals ( three sets of two) and I used the second set to activate a small LED when the switch is in clear position. The light runs off a 9v transistor radio battery.
    I'm sure there are better ways to do this...I'm not an electronics whiz, but this worked for me. It was very useful when I first clocked my chip...since then I haven't touched it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i kinda thought of another way too, not sure how easy it would be to do, but when its in clear cmos position, it disconnects the on switch terminal, so u cant switch it on while in the clear cmos position

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+1 February 2004 - 01:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 1 February 2004 - 01:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@1 February 2004 - 01:06
    John, you should make yourself a external clear CMOS switch like I did.
    I got the switch from RadioShack for about 3 bucks. Took about 5 minutes to wire and install and viola&#33; no more opening up the case and picking at a teeny tiny jumper&#33;
    Explain what kind of switch you got, and which wires you placed to which ends on the mobo, how did you secure the ends, etc. it is a simple SPST switch? I&#39;ll probably try it when I get my new case.

Also, board would boot at 12.5 x 192 but wouldnt go to windows. board wont boot at all at 13 x 188.

But I did manage to get it to boot 12.5 x 187 = 2334Mhz Checking to see if its stable folding as of now. [/b][/quote]
    i like the red trigger switch (the one on the joysticks where you flip the cover and hit the red button) those look cool

lol u kno i can give u my corporate edition copy of XP so u wont need to activate it (uses the key that starts with FCKGW-blahblahblah)

my tales of an overclocker: i almosed killed my cpu on a passive thermalright heatpipe heatsink (OCed to 2800 from a 2400 chip)

a tip for all: if the p4 chip you have is made in malaysia, u have an awesome chip which can overclock easily. the malaysia chips are high quality

the costa rican chips are the worst

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    sry, this post pissed poeple off, so i removed it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    You&#39;ve gotten the FSB to be at 350? , which would actually mean 4200Mhz.......

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SciManAl@1 February 2004 - 18:55
    Oops sorry bad math...
    No I dont doubt your math, but 4200Mhz seems a bit high for an AMD CPU.

What is the highest in terms of Ghz you have gotten your CPU to boot at?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast