Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tales Of An Overclocker

_John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Hiya guys, and well, the board has had no new posts in about the past 2 hours, which is suprising for this board, so I decided to start my own.

Anyway, so I have 4 days left to activate my windows XP. The Cd key I used wont activate anymore because I over used it (go figure ) Anyway, instead I use a cracking program that I got off of kazaa. The only downside to this cracking program is that if I have to reset my cmos, or if im overclocking and I over do it to the point whree Windows screws up, it somehow trips the anit non activation software that it has. Which means, it locks me out of windows. So I have to do a complete fresh install (not just a reinstall) to get back into my windows.

But I digress, anyway my WU just finished so I decided to do a bit of overclocking to set my system at permantly, well, until I get that new ram fro ScimanAl Or some other reason. Through my trials I have found the following things,

1. My Geil 3200Ram in my sig, will not go above 204FSB and boot to windows. Or, atleast the resulting memory frequency atleast. If I choose a 4:5 ratio on my ram, and set my ram at 200 FSB, making the result frequency 240FSB on my ram, it of course if I tone it down to something that results in a 205FSB or so, it still will not boot, so I am left to try other things.

2. My Multiplier is coming in handy, I am currently running at 12 x 188 FSB = 2265 and it looks like it might be stable. It booted to windows atleast, and it completed atleast one step in my current F@H Work unit.

3. Reseting CMOS is hard in the dark. Thus, I think im going to paint my cmos jumper with glow in the dark paint or something, dont know you.

Well anyway, im off to up the FSB more, hopefully get 2.4Ghz with any luck. but 2.3 and stable would be nice. Cross your fingers for me.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    John, you should make yourself a external clear CMOS switch like I did.
    I got the switch from RadioShack for about 3 bucks. Took about 5 minutes to wire and install and viola! no more opening up the case and picking at a teeny tiny jumper!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by clocker@1 February 2004 - 01:06
    John, you should make yourself a external clear CMOS switch like I did.
    I got the switch from RadioShack for about 3 bucks. Took about 5 minutes to wire and install and viola! no more opening up the case and picking at a teeny tiny jumper!
    Explain what kind of switch you got, and which wires you placed to which ends on the mobo, how did you secure the ends, etc. it is a simple SPST switch? I'll probably try it when I get my new case.

Also, board would boot at 12.5 x 192 but wouldnt go to windows. board wont boot at all at 13 x 188.

But I did manage to get it to boot 12.5 x 187 = 2334Mhz Checking to see if its stable folding as of now.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    How far can you go if you just up the FSB and leave the multiplier at 11 ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@1 February 2004 - 01:17
    How far can you go if you just up the FSB and leave the multiplier at 11 ?
    205 and it wont boot.
    204 and it BSOD during windows load
    203 and it loads to windows, and crashes WU right away
    202 and it crashes WU's around 80%
    201 Seems fine.

Yeah, The Ram, CPU, and Case are the oldest things in my system right now that I bought with building my computer in mind. The CPU was from the suggestion of the AMDMB guys, after having duped by the celeron line. The ram, was 3200 like they suggested, but it was pretty much the cheapest on newegg. (its about 76 dollars right now, blue heat spreader, 512MB, Geil, usually on their front page.) Im getting a new case soon, so the Ram would be next in line to go.

I'll brb, going to test the FSB a bit more on this 12.5 level, and maybe lower the V abit, or see if i can, im at 1.8V right now.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    So you can only overclock your ram 1Mhz? wierd..
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@1 February 2004 - 01:26
    So you can only overclock your ram 1Mhz? wierd..
    haha, well, Its DDR Ram, and its overclockable ram, but, they dont always gurantee that its overclockable at all.

Btw, BSOD in windows at 12.5 x 189

Got thinks at 12.5 x 187 right now = 2350Mhz. Lets see if she holds.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    _John_Lennon_ Check your PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    PMed ya back.

EDIT: Phew, I BSOD'ed again with seconds of posting this before. So I backed off the multi to 12, and upped the FSB to 192 I believe. which is around 2337Mhz, lets see if she holds now.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    doing 3.2 with my current stuff at 30 idle. not sure bout load yet. just finally got my windows working

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast