Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Swapgate Beta 1.6

BANNED
    i have not been able to get many files and again there is no privacy patch.

the files i do get are very slow speed

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    Originally posted by Benno+4 February 2004 - 00:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 4 February 2004 - 00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sharedholder@3 February 2004 - 23:55
    No, and i don&#39;t have any intetion to try it because i have two important reasons : first its still beta, second i don&#39;t like p2p proggies that work with servers.
    AFAIK emule and overnet use servers as well?
    and bittorent has trackers, a kind of server too.. [/b][/quote]
    You can&#39;t compare e2Dk network and programs with Openap .

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Poster
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@4 February 2004 - 08:14
    i have not been able to get many files and again there is no privacy patch.

the files i do get are very slow speed
    What kind of Privacy Patch are you talking about ?

- If users browse your list they browse the server
    - If users search they search on the server list
    - If you send a PM to a user it goes through the server
    - If you are in a chat channel it goes thrugh the server

Another plus is that server admins block BayTSP and all known bad IPs directly meaning they won&#39;t even find a way in. There is not one single case of a sued Slavanap / OpenNap user plus server owners cannot be help responsible for their indexing servers (ruled by US court).

The only way to get your IP is by downloading from you but thats how all P2P tools are designed - without knowing users IPs there is no way to transfer from one client to another. If you think porxies will do the job then I have to wake you up cause you would have to use 255 proxies to hide your IP without leaving traces.

Maybe you can explain this "privacy patch" better

P.S: We also develop our own unique protocol for V2 which comes out in summer. That will change much more aspects as we can add whatever is needed. Atm we are also able to talk to the server developer which includes custom features so it&#39;s not really open nap. The old opennap times are over

Multisource downloads, resuming from other users and privacy are no big deal.anymore..

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by sharedholder+4 February 2004 - 08:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sharedholder &#064; 4 February 2004 - 08:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Benno@4 February 2004 - 00:32
    <!--QuoteBegin-sharedholder
    @3 February 2004 - 23:55
    No, and i don&#39;t have any intetion to try it because i have two important reasons : first its still beta, second i don&#39;t like p2p proggies that work with servers.

AFAIK emule and overnet use servers as well?
    and bittorent has trackers, a kind of server too..
    You can&#39;t compare e2Dk network and programs with Openap . [/b][/quote]
    If you are not willing to explain it to me....then you are absolutely right.

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Well , i don&#39;t boother to explain things that you already know ( maybe better than me ) or you don&#39;t want to understand.Peace.

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by sharedholder@4 February 2004 - 08:28
    Well , i don&#39;t boother to explain things that you already know ( maybe better than me ) or you don&#39;t want to understand.Peace.
    Well I don&#39;t know actually,. What I do believe though is that it is first better to try something before criticising it. I have tried SwapGate.... So I feel qualified to discuss it.

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    BANNED
    [i]Originally posted by uNz[i]+4 February 2004 - 03:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (uNz @ 4 February 2004 - 03:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MUSLEMAN@2 February 2004 - 21:55
    roflmao, people don&#39;t seem too friendly on there.

and where is the privacy patch?? i can&#39;t leave my files for riaa to view

or did i miss it??
    What makes you say the folks aren&#39;t friendly?
    I&#39;ve been constantly stunned at how open and helpful everyone I&#39;ve encountered in chat has been to me since I started testing SwapGate.
    Every person I&#39;ve talked to has been only too pleased to answer all of my n00bish questions... unlike some of the arrogant people I&#39;ve seen on this board...

If you guys really want to know what SG is like, just download it and try it yourself.
    Why can&#39;t you do just that little thing? Are you afraid you might like it?

Okay, you want a users impressions before taking the plunge? Right then...

The layout is simple and intuitive. I felt quite comfortable using SG from the word go.
    Any user of IRC will see a marked similarity in the chat window and some of the channel /commands are identical.

I&#39;m only on dialup, so I can&#39;t say whether it&#39;ll give you blinding speeds. But I can report that downloads usually start immediatly, and I very rarely get queued for more than 5 minutes. A single source will download at a solid 4-6K/s over my creaky lil modem, which is more than I can say for most of the other p2p apps I&#39;ve tried.

As for the kinds of files, well, that can depend on what servers and networks you connect to. Some offer music, others have movies.. there are also channels where anything goes, with the exception of pr0n. (if you want that, use the fasttrack network) I&#39;ve seen shared folders with apps, games, roms... allsorts.

Even though SwapGate&#39;s still in beta, It&#39;s stable on a win2000/XP system... and I haven&#39;t had a single problem since it went public ...actually tbh, I had very few problems while it was still in the private beta stages too.

So what I suggest is that you...

TRY IT. IT WON"T KILL YOU.

...damn... I feel like a parent trying to get a bratty kid to eat brussel sprouts ffs.

Oh yeah, and you can block any IP in Program Options>Privacy Options. [/b][/quote]
    @uNz[i] you forgot to mention that you are a mod on the swapgate board boss, as a mod i don&#39;t expect you to say anything bad about the software but thx for bing honest about your possition. and it looks like your keeping an "i" on swapgate not kl board.

@7th by privacy patch i mean just like klite, when nobody can see what i&#39;m sharing but i&#39;m sharing all my files, as far as nobody being sued by the riaa over this network or servers, well i don&#39;t belive anybody has gotten sued over any other network either except for fasttrack since that is the network riaa has decided to go after.

i just would feel more comfotable with the privacy patch, living in the us and sharing shit loads of files. i mean even overnet has it.

as far as the program itself, i&#39;m still testing it, it just came out, and its going to take a good while for me to say if i like it or not, right now its too early and not far to make a judgement

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    Poster
    @7th by privacy patch i mean just like klite, when nobody can see what i&#39;m sharing but i&#39;m sharing all my files
    You cannot be sued if somebody knows what files you have. First of all the list that a user can access is stored on the server. Usernames are not unique and a list of all your shared files doesn&#39;t give your IP away.

The only way to sue you would be to start an download from you, getting your IP and having logs that you allowed somebody to download from you.

It&#39;s a false sense of security if you think that people should be blocked from browsing your files if they are still able to find the file while using the search function.

A list also means nothing and cannot be used to sue you cause it doesn&#39;t mean that you actually share all files. You can only be sued if there are logs that a user downloaded a file from you and not because somebody knows what files you have on your comp.

I understand your worries but I don&#39;t think it would help to add such a "privacy option" cause it just gives an user a false sense of security. I don&#39;t want to play with a user&#39;s sense of security cause there are already many programs which do that and it&#39;s just wrong.

Overall I think that it is less risky to use clients based on the napster protocol than other protocols because most protocols are owned by a company which doesn&#39;t care about the enduser. They just want to show how many users they have and how easy it is to get files. "Users are servers" networks care more about privacy and 99% of all server owners block known IP ranges anyway.

Example:

ballad : Connection from s812149866268695&#33;216.133.193.160: *&#33;216.133.193.* banned: BayTSP
    ballad : Connection from h561392331114274&#33;216.133.193.145: *&#33;216.133.193.* banned: BayTSP
    ballad : Connection from j181811582322521&#33;216.133.193.211: *&#33;216.133.193.* banned: BayTSP
    ballad : Connection from z891437185739324&#33;216.133.193.136: *&#33;216.133.193.* banned: BayTSP
    ballad : Connection from g661891425518984&#33;216.133.193.191: *&#33;216.133.193.* banned: BayTSP
    ballad : Connection from v118181163711379&#33;216.133.193.152: *&#33;216.133.193.* banned: BayTSP

Server side banning is more effective than user defined filters because the risk is smaller as known IP&#39;s cannot connect at all.

I personally prefer a honest sharing app than apps claiming how secure they are by using proxies or UDP. If you are into programming you will know what I am talking about because such claims are plain stupid and not correct.

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    MUSLEMAN - So now you&#39;re saying my honest input should be ignored because I&#39;ve been a mod for a day on the SG forum?

Way to be open minded dude.

Try the program. That&#39;s all I&#39;m saying. I did and I liked it. I wrote a help FAQ for it and 7th made me a mod for pitching in... if that presents a problem for you... Tough.

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    BANNED
    Originally posted by uNz&#091;i
    ,4 February 2004 - 07:25] MUSLEMAN - So now you&#39;re saying my honest input should be ignored because I&#39;ve been a mod for a day on the SG forum?

Way to be open minded dude.

Try the program. That&#39;s all I&#39;m saying. I did and I liked it. I wrote a help FAQ for it and 7th made me a mod for pitching in... if that presents a problem for you... Tough.
    no champ what i&#39;m saying is you forgot to mention that you are a mod on the forum of the software you are rating

surely even you don&#39;t trust a person who works for a store you are trying to shop at, i mean its their job to talk good about the store and the product.

i&#39;m not saying you don&#39;t mean what you say about the program, i&#39;m just saying it would have been honest of you to first say you are a mod and give your rating as a mod.

i mean think about it , how are we suppose to tell the difference between some one who is just taking good about the team and the store because they are part of the team and they have to, and the person who is in the same exact situation and realy means what they are saying. there realy is no way to tell.

99.9% of the time when somebody is with a group they talk good about the group.

read your post again you sound like a person with no affiliation with swapgate giving your hosnest a god rating of the software, which is not true, thus making your rating suspicious also

as for the software it self, read my last post again toward the end.

@7th i like the privacy patch more for privacy and the riaa, they do go after people with larger files, and yes they can search and see my name as a source for a file but they can&#39;t see how many files i&#39;m sharing. on that note only is the reason why i liked it.

i know all the ways riaa gets you and i&#39;m in no way feeling safe, even with privacy patch, proxy and etc. i l just don&#39;t like somebody being able you to come in and see every thing i share all at once riaa or joe somebody

anyways thx for the explaination, it all makes sense, but again i think leting us decide who sees what is a bit more private and i personally like it. it was just a suggestion

every thing makes sense, i will be on the forum soon, as soon as i collect all my questions and also i need to work with it more to understand it better.

good luck with and i hope it takes off

(ps i am sharing all my files on there now, so there are more files on the network)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast