Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Swapgate Beta 1.6

Poster
    Don't worry I didn't see it as attack

The whole project is based on user input meaning I am glad to hear suggestions and I won't be upset if people say it's crap for some reason since I am aware that better clients exist

Our mission is not to offer the "best" tool. We prefer to do what users want to see and to keep it free of adware / spyware cause that's what sharing is about

2. File Sharing   -   #52
    BANNED
    Originally posted by 7thElement@4 February 2004 - 08:18
    Don't worry I didn't see it as attack

The whole project is based on user input meaning I am glad to hear suggestions and I won't be upset if people say it's crap for some reason since I am aware that better clients exist

Our mission is not to offer the "best" tool. We prefer to do what users want to see and to keep it free of adware / spyware cause that's what sharing is about
    well give it time and be patient i'm sure it will pick up

3. File Sharing   -   #53
    Poster
    Metallica concert, first row, i'm the one in the Napster shirt!
    Unzi, has been a mod since exactly one day. So its kinda lmae to say he is Pro the program cause he is a mod.He became mod cause he wrote a damn good faq for the client.

About privacy, if you dont want someone to see your files, u are going against the basic principle of p2p file sharing. The entire idea is that , all the users trow in their files, and can see eachother files, then download them. Trading is stupid, its free-sharing, not ow i'll only allow a upload of file a, if u gimme file c. Thats plain stupid, u might aswell place a add in the newspapers then and trade cd's. Its free sharing!

I am a server owner and about the privcay, dont you think we activly ban known ip's, ip ranges etc to keep riaa etc away. I am European so i basically dont have to worry about the riaa, yet i still block it, for the "safety" of the users. And lets face it the only way u will ever be 100% safe is to NOT use any p2p app.

I can at this moment say , that for connecting to multiple networks Swapgate is my favorite. And u can trust me, i have tried alot of different clients for this protocol.

4. File Sharing   -   #54
    Originally posted by nigel123+4 February 2004 - 08:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nigel123 &#064; 4 February 2004 - 08:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sharedholder@4 February 2004 - 08:28
    Well , i don&#39;t boother to explain things that you already know ( maybe better than me ) or you don&#39;t want to understand.Peace.
    Well I don&#39;t know actually,. What I do believe though is that it is first better to try something before criticising it. I have tried SwapGate.... So I feel qualified to discuss it. [/b][/quote]
    I know you tried Swapgate , you have more posts on Swapgate forums more than Lamsey.And btw i don&#39;t critic nothing , i just exprim my opinion on this program like about any other program. And don&#39;t forget one thing: Fasttrack network was the biggest and still it is now, why ? because the amount of files and no SERVERS THING , people don&#39;t like to connect to server, most of us are using e2Dk network because Kazaa its dead killed by Sharman Networks himself.Don&#39;t forget that before this thing happend a very litlle % of us used eMule or any other e2dK client. One more thing Overnet its server-less

5. File Sharing   -   #55
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Still, it seems a pity that someone with your obvious experience, cant find some time to give it a "try" and then give your opinion...many of the features that have been included in the program were actually suggestions from the beta testers...

6. File Sharing   -   #56
    I have to agree with comments made earlier about this place being not too friendly, i just d/l it to have a look, and i got messages saying share at least 10 files or get banned&#33;

Btw, i share more than that so wtf?

7. File Sharing   -   #57
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by rf9rider@4 February 2004 - 18:47
    I have to agree with comments made earlier about this place being not too friendly, i just d/l it to have a look, and i got messages saying share at least 10 files or get banned&#33;

Taken from uNz[i]&#39;s extensive and informative FAQ at swapgate.com

Q: Why did I get banned for not sharing enough, even though I am sharing a LOT?

A: Some servers are made to only share movies (e.g. quality movies).
    Maybe that massive swag of files you&#39;re sharing is mostly music, not movies.
    Always look at the network name/server name, this can be a subtle hint.
    You&#39;ll also find you were banned from one server. Swapgate connects to multiple OpenNap and SlavaNap servers.

:rtfm: (not being offensive I just really wanted to use that smiley for the first time )

8. File Sharing   -   #58
    Poster
    Originally posted by rf9rider@4 February 2004 - 17:47

That sounds more like the MOTD of a server, this gives out general information, like the server rules, and the minimum, it will also give u the actions taken when not complied. a 10 file minimum is low bw, no one likes a leech&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #59
    -Huize- , your opinion about this ?

10. File Sharing   -   #60
    Poster
    Sure ill comment on that one. But first off, there will always be users like "snarkridden". There will never be a protocol that will make everyone happy.

"Why? Simply this, so many servers today are restricting client types, limiting browsing, placing rediculous limits on searches, and generally becoming very unfriendly."

Ofcourse we limit clients, or can u all of a sudden read Japanese?.....Dident think so, so yes we block japanese clients.

"Browse limiting: Totally unneccesary, totally restricting to all decent sharers with increasingly large shares: Set a reasonable level of 10,000 files for example. If your server cannot handle this, improve it, don&#39;t throttle users."

Browse limiting, if u as a user think u can browse someone with more then 3000 files you are wrong, A) Your client will crash, no matter what client, cause it cannot handle a data flow like it. B) All the files will turn up in search. C) A browse will slow any server down, no matter what connection, it has happend before that a server on a t1 line would crash due to allowing unlimited browsing.

Now to draw a line between stability and best functionality browsing is limited and will always be limited, this is a thing that has been limited from the verry start of opennap/slavanap servers.

"Search Limits: With todays broadband access numbers on the up & up, sharers are download and uploading more files than ever: A search of a popular artist will often produce 5000 or more results, why set limits of 500 or so ?"

Know any artist that has more then 5000 different different songs?
    Dident think so. say your search gives you 100 results, would it be nesscary to havethat same list multiplied by 5 with all the files double...?
    And if you use the client to its best, u will be logged on to multiple networks at once and get more results then u can imagine. And if u cant find the song, it isent being shared. Search is pretty damn affective.

And like "notbob" wrote:

"don&#39;t like their rules? ,..., start your own server"

Now if you want further comments on what other people write about a certain protocol i&#39;m more then happy to give them to you. OR just MAYBE , u could try it yourselve , without being bigoted and see what its all about. BUT that would prolly be to much of a hassle now would it.

What amazes me is that you seem bigoted towards this program for no apparant reason without even trying it. So to comply with your style i searchec trough zeropaid for you, prolly the same way as u did and well here it is.

"isus"
    "hell if i know mr. jip.

my guess is, that even though most servers only house 10000 users or whatever, they do share a lot. (at least the last time i used opennap *cough*winmx 2.6*cough*) you can find all sorts of rare files on there, bc unlike kazaa, where n00bs run rampant, sharing their whole hard drives, guys who use opennap know what they&#39;re doing, and usually use irc to get the rarest files around.

i found all sorts of good stuff when using opennap servers. it was fun."

"RecalcitrantX "
    "OpenNap is great for rare files, as isus points out. If you&#39;re willing to wait in queues you&#39;ll have an easier time getting a rare file from OpenNap than you would from eDonkey. "

"Lamourlady "
    "yep, i still use them. whenever i can&#39;t find a song...i hook up with them...i find that the queues go pretty fast, actually. and u know if i&#39;m waiting in a queue, i want that song bad...usually if the song is pretty new and not that many peeps have it yet.....but u can bet it&#39;ll be with one of the many opennap users."

"method77 "
    "i use it all the time for rare tracks. There is no difference between DC, Soulseek and opennap imo. Mono source and really hard to get in rooms-hubs-servers and have to wait a little longer BUT you can find stuff that will never be released in popular clients. Not to mention security cause most of the times you know all the people that are in the room-hub-server with you. Privacy."

Original source

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast