Thread: Searchable File Types

I encoded a divx movie today. I noticed through that process that if I named the file .divx instead of .avi, the divx player would play it. So, I thought, hey, I'll just do that.

Then when I opened My Kazaa Lite K++, I noticed that K++ doesn't know that .divx is a video file... argh

Okay, I know I can just reassign .avi to the divx player, and have actually done that.

But, I'm left asking myself, why didn't K++ know that was a video file?

Does the underlying network have a definition set that defines what's video vs audio, etc? Or is there something in the registry that defines the list that K++ uses?

Does anyone know exactly what it is / where it is that restricts or defines what K++ considers audio vs video etc?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    just get the k-lite codec pack HERE

this may solve the prob
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by Azzz@1 February 2004 - 18:02

this may solve the prob
    hmm... I'll download it and take a look at it, but I don't think that is really the answer i was looking for. i'm pretty sure that will make the internals of K++ able to play a divx encoded avi rather than make it realize that a .divx extension is for a video file...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Originally posted by LambdaFox+1 February 2004 - 18:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LambdaFox @ 1 February 2004 - 18:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Azzz@1 February 2004 - 18:02

this may solve the prob
    hmm... I&#39;ll download it and take a look at it, but I don&#39;t think that is really the answer i was looking for. i&#39;m pretty sure that will make the internals of K++ able to play a divx encoded avi rather than make it realize that a .divx extension is for a video file... [/b][/quote]
    did it work then?
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    BANNED
    just because you change a name of the file, that does not mean you are changing the encode of it.

for example change the extension of a file to vcd and burn it to a cd, you&#39;ll noticed it won&#39;t play in your dvd player

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@2 February 2004 - 01:14
    just because you change a name of the file, that does not mean you are changing the encode of it...
    That was exactly my point. I&#39;m wondering where is the list of file extensions that K++ uses to determine what is a video, audio, etc. K++ evidently doesn&#39;t examine the content of the file, just the file extension.

I was wondering if that comes from the underlying network&#39;s rules, or if it&#39;s some kind of internal list.

The file I was referring to is a divx encoded avi. When I named it movie.divx, it played automatically in the divx player. When I named it movi.avi it played in the Windows Media Player. Internally it is the same file, however.

When it was named movie.avi, it showed up in "My Kazaa Lite K++" as a "video". When I named it movie.divx, it shows up in the "other" list.

This morning I also notice that RM (Real) files also show up in "other" rather than under video.

The reason I am asking is that I assume that when searching for video, the network would ignore .divx files and .rm files. I&#39;m just curious to understand where this list comes from and what it is. I&#39;m assuming that it would be the same for audio files, like .ogg, but haven&#39;t checked that at this point...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Azzz@2 February 2004 - 00:23
    did it work then?
    I just downloaded and installed the "full" codec pack. I then closed K++, and rebooted my pc. The behavior is exactly the same.