Thread: Help With Dell Pc

Poster
    ive good an old dell 300mhz 128mg

basically when i turn it on it says disc read error so i boot from a cd rom (win 2000) formated and started to reinstall os. now it formated and copied the files for win2000 to the hdrive, then it says pc will reboot in 15 sec. so when the pc booted back up again to finish the installation it says disk read error. checked bios settings hdrive is set on auto . there is nothing wrong with the hdrive coz i took it out of one of my other pc

whats the problem

o yeh it also says error loading operating system

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    In the other machine was it a slave - if so the part' isn't active if it was a master possible Master Boot Record fault scandisk will look at this if the drive's part' is active.
    Also try finding it in the bios and not putting it on auto.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    do what cwctv said, and make sure you do not have a boot sector virus. When you formatted the drive, did you do a full format or a quick format. It is possible there are a few bad sectors in there causing you the ability on not being able to boot.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    i took it off of auto in the bios settings and now i have 2 set it manualy. its asking me how many sectors/clusters etc r on the hard drive so i looked on the h drive and the size haz beed rubbed off.. i now its six gig but cluster size i dont no. i did a full a full format..

and it is set as a master. it was all so set as a master on the machine i took it out of...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    ?????