Thread: Is God Out There! Lost Audio Files

ive deleted all my audio files from kazza, thinking it would only remove them from kazza and not my hard drive. Im not usuing the pc anymore until i know if i can retrieve them. Already checked in recycle etc.

can anybody urgently help pls

cheers

2. Music   -   #2
    Which Version of Windows are you using? From what I remember, if it's an MSDOS based one - pre 2000/XP - re-start you pc in MSDOS mode and locate the folder then run 'undelete' - follow the instructions. If its XP or 2000 and you don't want to invest in a program to do it, search Google for file recovery programs - there are a couple which will let you try them for free.

3. Music   -   #3
    TRshady
    Or if you have norton systemworks works or similar try its file undeleter.
    Kazaa are crueal, when I uninstalled my kazaa (to make way for kaaa lite it uninstalled my shared folder to. ).
    Do you have broadband?

4. Music   -   #4
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Norton Utilities has an undelete wizard. I guess you can try system restore.

5. Music   -   #5
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    Originally posted by warby21@19 February 2003 - 13:44
    ive deleted all my audio files from kazza, thinking it would only remove them from kazza and not my hard drive. Im not usuing the pc anymore until i know if i can retrieve them. Already checked in recycle etc.

can anybody urgently help pls

cheers
    Oh my god, i would cry for a week.

I ones lost 1 verry important file, and i did the same as you, didnt touch my pc and took it to a 'pc repairsman' and he fixed it for me.
    Sorry i couldnt help, but if you are a compelte pc moron (like me) than dont do it yourself unless you are really sure you know what you are doing.............
    Anyway, Succes!

6. Music   -   #6
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Go to http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK...UK/download.htm and download and install their free program. If you haven't deleted anything since then, you should have no trouble retrieving them.

7. Music   -   #7
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^@20 February 2003 - 03:01
    Go to http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK...UK/download.htm and download and install their free program. If you haven't deleted anything since then, you should have no trouble retrieving them.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the files in the "trash" stay there untill they are actually overwritten because the "trash can" gets full and needs the space for the newly deleted files. Do you know by chance how large the trash is and if it can be configured maually? I have XP by the way.

8. Music   -   #8
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by UKMan@19 February 2003 - 21:51
    Do you know by chance how large the trash is and if it can be configured maually? I have XP by the way.
    I don't know if the Recycle Bin is different on XP, but on 95/98 all you have to do is right click on it and select 'Properties'. From there you can move the slider to set a percentage of your hard drive to be used for deleted files, which can then easily be restored. But the program I mentioned above is for recovering files after they have been removed from the Recycle Bin. They're still not permanently deleted, just moved to the back of the hard drive until that space is needed for something else.

9. Music   -   #9
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^+20 February 2003 - 05:08--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nightwolf^.`.^ @ 20 February 2003 - 05:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--UKMan@19 February 2003 - 21:51
    Do you know by chance how large the trash is and if it can be configured maually? I have XP by the way.
    I don&#39;t know if the Recycle Bin is different on XP, but on 95/98 all you have to do is right click on it and select &#39;Properties&#39;. From there you can move the slider to set a percentage of your hard drive to be used for deleted files, which can then easily be restored. But the program I mentioned above is for recovering files after they have been removed from the Recycle Bin. They&#39;re still not permanently deleted, just moved to the back of the hard drive until that space is needed for something else. [/b][/quote]
    That actually works with XP as well - thx bro - "now why didnt i think of that?"

10. Music   -   #10
    if its only been a few days I would use System Restore...or scanreg^/restore from a dos prompt and pick a date before you lost it.