Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A: Drive Wants To Format All My (good) Disks

I'm on a computer on a network. When I want to read my discs the only message I get is: Your disk isnt formatted. Do you want to format now.

When I want to open a file in Word, etc, my pc get stuck.

Sometimes there is no problem at all and suddenly it doesnt work anymore, probably within a few hours itll be ok again.

What to do about it?

Shut up, i know my english is bad!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    btw, all the pcs on the network have the same prob

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    yeah i have had this problem with floppys b4. Did u write the word docs onto the disc using that pc?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    yes

and now i have the same problem on my pc at home with that disk, so the disk is really wasted.

Other persons had the same problem here (on school) but their disks were allright afterall.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    erm i know it might be little help, but the best advice i could give anyone iss to steer clear of floppies. get a usb pen drive, use an ftp/fileupload manager, use memory sticks - anything to avoid them - they must surely be one of the most outdated aspects of a pc. they will continue to fail on you, depending on which pc u use.
    <insert signature here>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@4 February 2004 - 16:51
    erm i know it might be little help, but the best advice i could give anyone iss to steer clear of floppies. get a usb pen drive, use an ftp/fileupload manager, use memory sticks - anything to avoid them - they must surely be one of the most outdated aspects of a pc. they will continue to fail on you, depending on which pc u use.
    the guy wasnt asking for a solution instead of the disks , he is asking about a solution for his problems &#33;

KeyserH .. all i know when i get this msg is that the disk is already corrupted .. but u can try buying a cleaning disk kit and try cleaning ur floby disk drive .. try ur disk on another machin/OS ..
    and when u use a disk after u copy stuff to it try making a scan disk on that disk before taking it out..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I guess its a virus. All disks i coppied files on from my computer A were wasted.
    That computer isnt connected to the internet so i wasnt able to check it for viruses.
    Norton killed one virus (file deleted) on this PC.

This stupid thing caused me a lot of trouble and work.

And I guess the network on my school is still infected, that is, if it is a virus.

Shut up, i know my english is bad&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    when i used to try to take things to and from uni on floppies, id copy stg to a disk at home, and itd work on my pc and my laptop - but get to uni and id get this message on a multitude of different machines - then it would sometimes work whe i got home again.

it prob isnt a virus, more likely a screwed FDD or a knackered (or on its way out) disk.

I mention some alternatives that you may reconsider - youll save time and effort in the long run
    <insert signature here>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    it happened to more than one disk, so its not the disks quality.

a perfectly good disk was completely wasted after putting it in my other computer. Just like another disk got wasted on the school network in the same way. How come, i have the same prob at home as on the schoolnetwork with different disks&#33;&#33;&#33;

btw: the schoolnetwork went down this afternoon (CET).

Shut up, i know my english is bad&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    a perfectly good disk was completely wasted after putting it in my other computer. Just like another disk got wasted on the school network in the same way. How come, i have the same prob at home as on the schoolnetwork with different disks&#33;&#33;&#33;
    You say "other" does this happen if you format a disc off of either machine and take them to school ?
    What do you mean by wasted u/s can&#39;t use again ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast