Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: English Help

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+3 February 2004 - 23:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 3 February 2004 - 23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:30
    You have no guidelines I take it?

If you have free choice in the subject matter then follow the first rule of writing - stick to something you know about. Choose a place, a theme and an idea that you can populate with colour and depth.
    Plagiarist [/b][/quote]
    I would rather say that great minds think alike....

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by gemby&#33;@4 February 2004 - 00:34
    my teacher isnt the best - he doesnt explain things too well and all he sed was write an original piece and it can be a story (short) and thats it

im gonna fail english ...
    Have you done something recently that is vivid in your mind. A day out, a date met with some friends whatever.

Just make that into a story, but put it in the third person. That way you will be able to describe everything very clearly, including the feelings. That is what give the story colour.

For example Janet&#39;s First Date.

Draw on your own experience. How she felt on the day. How she picked an outfit. How she got to the place, was the bus full. How her heart stopped when she saw him. The movie they went to see, she bought the popcorn. Did they kiss, what did she feel. What went through her head in bed that night. The next day, how could everyone go about their normal business when the world had changed etc

You can write all of this because you know all of it. You just have to write it as if it were someone else. It is known as drawing on your own experiences. You may even enjoy it.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    but it is only allowed to be one side and i feel it should have a secret meaning to it or somethign along those lines
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by gemby&#33;@3 February 2004 - 23:34
    my teacher isnt the best - he doesnt explain things too well and all he sed was write an original piece and it can be a story (short) and thats it

im gonna fail english ...
    Lol

It is amazing how often a class will go "yeah" when told they can write anything they like, only to slump immediately afterwards and say "I can&#39;t think of anything".

The purpose of writing pieces like these is to communicate, get over an idea. It can be a story but it doesn&#39;t have to be. You could write an magazine style article on, say, the use of fabrics in clothes. It doesn&#39;t sound exciting but it could be the most beautifully crafted piece of writing ever seen.

I had this with my son when he had to write on "a person who I admire". No suggestion suited him so I told him it was either about his favourite author or face unimaginable violence. He chose to write about his favourite author (oddly enough) and once started he couldn&#39;t stop and over-ran by several hundred words.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. Lounge   -   #15
    I once considered teaching.

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by gemby&#33;@4 February 2004 - 00:44
    but it is only allowed to be one side and i feel it should have a secret meaning to it or somethign along those lines
    Start with ....

Dear Diary

What a day I&#39;ve had, couldn&#39;t sleep at all last night, obviously, but I got up at 7 am anyway. LOL I never get up on saturdays. Dad was his usual grumpy self, but Mum understood, she always does. Dad has never been in love.

Go on to describe the day pick whatever you want, the date is just an idea. It is good because the emotions and memory are strong.

Feck I have just realised, I am a 14 year old girl.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:56

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;
    A Great Escape if you will, Biggles old bean.

What ho.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+4 February 2004 - 00:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 4 February 2004 - 00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:56

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;

What ho. [/b][/quote]
    Fortunately Ginger had the old kite ready and it was chocks away. Otherwise it could have been a very sticky wicket indeed, what&#33;

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by Biggles+4 February 2004 - 01:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 4 February 2004 - 01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@4 February 2004 - 00:00
    <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles
    @4 February 2004 - 00:56

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;

What ho.
    Fortunately Ginger had the old kite ready and it was chocks away. Otherwise it could have been a very sticky wicket indeed, what&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Back to base for top scran and lashings of ginger beer.

Then off to give Gerry what for.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Possibly mixing Enid Blyton with Capt W E Johns there. Although they could have been one and the same.

Neither were what one could call literary giants, but still, a cracking good read. What&#33;

When I started reading to my kids at bed-time I suddenly realised just how good some authors were and how ghastly others were. A A Milne&#39;s Winnie the Pooh is an absolute joy to read; every word carefully chosen for weight and texture.

I shall stop now least I end up in Private Eye&#39;s Pseud&#39;s corner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast