Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dvd -r Or +r?

Which do u think will win the DVD Format Wars?

I think that -R will win because of its grest speed and high compatability, but +R has a higher random access but lower compatability. -RAM is just plain crap. It is the first format to be considered writable, though. Which do you think is the best?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    IMHO I think none.
    It's still a very messy crap all those DVD formats.
    You see, all the big companies saw the huge success of the CDs and when they heard about the DVDs, everybody tried to implement their format as the official one in order to make lots of money.
    This led to the messy crap that we have today.
    Different DVD formats working on some DVD players and not others... What a load of crap.

Eventually, they will put all their sh!t together and will become plain and simple R or RW like the CDs.
    Just give it some more time.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Compatibility always wins in the computer world. No one wants to spend money something that works SOMETIMES. Would you buy a car that only works on certian days? Would you buy a house that can only be used at certian hours? I think you get my point.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Ok im looking to get a brand new pc in the next couple of months, ive seen this dvdrw by sony, not out in the uk for another month yet though, but that can do CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R. was just wondering if this is good or will having that many formats just confuse it.

btw ive never even used a cdrw before so i havnt a clue what all this + & - is.

Its the new sony drive, if you want more info on it go To this site

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    The - & + don't apply to CDs and CD Writers.

About the Sony DVD Writer, go here. You can read the comments and compare all the DVD Writers for more information.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    It's the same one I have been thinking of getting, I am thinking about the external one tho (the DRX500UL). It all depends on what I hear from the store I usually buy at (sent some q's I haven't got answers to yet).

I am not too into this yet myself, but my friend said it'd be best to go with a drive that can burn both + and - format, and I have to agree with him on that =)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    If you can't wait and have the money, go for it.
    Otherwise I advise you to wait.
    You'll see that the DVD writers price will come down, the compatibility issues will be solved and some new features will be added to the DVD writers.
    DVD writers are still in the "Beta Release" stage.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Mmm, I know. But it's either that or another HD (whatever I decide for I need to get me a controller card anyways). Will prolly settle for another HD, so I can share more

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    I've seen a DVD writer that supports both formats. I don't remember the exact brand or model. I could imagine that it would be fairly expensive.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Go and click the link DataMore posted. If it is the new Sony (which we talked about further up) then it's not all that expensive if you compare it to others and what you get for the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast