Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Einstein: Plagiarist Of The Century

I bet Einstein's burning in hell for that .

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    oldmancan's Avatar Poster
    The book I refer to (since link isn't working) is Einstein: The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark, published 1971 by Avon Books, ISBN 0-380-01159.

I apologize for an unbalanced post. I suppose I got a little excited by the original post. Einstein doesn't need me jumping to his defense.

I think he was a great scientist, but I don't subscribe to the myth that he developed his theories in isolation from the scientific community. He may have been an outcast but he knew of the community and its body of work.

More than Newton, Lorentz, J'Pol or Poincare there is one person that perhaps should have been acknowledged by Einstein - August Foppl. A german administrator and teacher whose "Introduction to Maxwell's Theory of Electricity" was almost certainly studied by Einstein. The famous relativity paper has similarities in style and argument with Foppls treatment of "relative and absolute motion in space". Foppl himself writes of "a deep-going revision of that conception of space which has been impressed upon human thinking in its previous period of development"

Like putty said check the source. I didn't at first, knowing sharedholder to have brought up some good stuff in the past.

cheers omc

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    The source not even know what its talking about.

The myth about an isolated Einstein is not made even for Einstein, but for the media and the ones who rip Einstein memory. In fact, contrary to A LOT of people think, A. Einstein didnt work in the manhattan proyect, he just propossed the creation of the bomb before the germans. In fact, he was AGAINST using it in Japan!

He was a friend of a lot of scientific, like Marie Curie, Bohr, Planck, etc. He was not working isolated, he was just and lonely and shy man, who avoided de press.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by oldmancan@4 February 2004 - 14:35

Thus from 1902 until 1905 Einstein worked on his own, an outsider of outsiders, scientifically provincial and having few links with the main body of contemporary physics. This isolation accounts for his broad view of specific scientific problems - he ignored the detailed arguments of others because he was unaware of them. It also shows a courage beyond the call of scientific duty, submission to the inner compulsion which was to drive him on throughout life and for which he was willing to sacrifice everything.

Although I know this passage refers to Einstein, I couldn't help but think of John Harrison as I read it.

Another scientific giant, he remains, unlike Einstein, mostly unheralded.
    Shame on you England!
    Harrison ranks as an equal, if not superior to, the more well known minds of his (or any) age.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@24 February 2004 - 21:07

Harrison ranks as an equal, if not superior to, the more well known minds of his (or any) age.
    I know the feeling.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+24 February 2004 - 12:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 24 February 2004 - 12:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 February 2004 - 21:07

I know the feeling. [/b][/quote]
    I f you could conquer that pesky inferiority complex you could go far, JP....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    einstein? plagiarist of the century? you don&#39;t know plagiarism until you&#39;ve tasted the Stephen Ambrose Experience.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2060618

http://forbes.com/2002/01/29/0129ambrose.html

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    EINSTEIN: PLAGIARIST OF THE CENTURY

...and then there are those that copy other people&#39;s website designs....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12