Thread: Can Microsoft Find Out About What Your'e Watching?

Poster
    Does Microsoft know what your'e watching using Win Media Player? Is it becaue of those automatic updates? or because of those irritating patches that you have to/can download once every 3 days? Does this concern only the latest version 9? or all versions?

Cheers,

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    It's Micro$oft. They know all.
    Well, there are some "spying" issues that can be shut off.
    XP-AntiSpy helps.
    It's just that WMP9 has the most spying softwarein it.

You don't need Windows Media Player. It.. sux.... I found a way to actually uninstall it... safely, and I'm glad I did.
    Media Player Classic can do pretty much anything. Especially since it's based on the only version of WMP that was any good (with a billion tweaks).

The K-Lite Codec Packs have all you need to watch whatever you need.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Scattershot@4 February 2004 - 02:02
    Does Microsoft know what your&#39;e watching using Win Media Player? Is it becaue of those automatic updates? or because of those irritating patches that you have to/can download once every 3 days? Does this concern only the latest version 9? or all versions?

Cheers,
    i hope they dont cause i watch and listen to everthing i got on my comp with WMP. as for the patches every 3 day i have no clue what ur talking bout. i dont think i ever dled a patch for wmp.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    can i get a legit site to download that xpantispy from plz

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by TheAntiHero@4 February 2004 - 04:35
    can i get a legit site to download that xpantispy from plz
    Where else are you gonna get it from? That&#39;s the developer&#39;s site.

Try this if ya want.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@4 February 2004 - 02:14
    It&#39;s Micro&#036;oft. They know all.
    Well, there are some "spying" issues that can be shut off.
    XP-AntiSpy helps.
    It&#39;s just that WMP9 has the most spying softwarein it.

You don&#39;t need Windows Media Player. It.. sux.... I found a way to actually uninstall it... safely, and I&#39;m glad I did.
    Media Player Classic can do pretty much anything. Especially since it&#39;s based on the only version of WMP that was any good (with a billion tweaks).

The K-Lite Codec Packs have all you need to watch whatever you need.

-- Xero Grid --
    Thanks for your tips, but would you be so kind enough to tell me how to uninstall WM Player safely? That would be greatest, to completely erradicate that junk

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    No problem, friend.

Go to the start menu and select "run." Then paste this code:

Code:
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%&#092;INF&#092;wmp.inf,Uninstall
    Then, it&#39;ll ask you if you want to roll back the installation, if you upgraded from an older version to WMP9. This causes Windows to uninstall it, instead of using some crap program.

BTW, if you upgraded earlier, you may have to do it twice to get rid of all the files. But you can make a "bat" file out of the code to make it easier.

But, when it&#39;s done, most likely after a restart, the Windows Media Player Folder will be empty and all the other files and associations will be gone.

Of course you may want to think of cleaning the registry when you&#39;re done.
    RegSeeker registry cleaner
    NTRegOpt registry compactor

-- Xero Grid --

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    check "disable automatic codec download" in the proggy Xero Grid posted (XpAntispy)
    that will stop ur medial player from downloading codec ..
    but u choose to uninstall