This seems to have happened very recently and I have not the faintest clue what it was that I had done to bring this about. Yet Live Update, for whatever reason, does not want to "update" anything.
I have been using the recent 22.214.171.124 version for some time without conflict until this. So far I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling Live Update. No change. I have uninstalled and completely reinstalled all Norton/Symantec products using the service. Again no change. And I have also went through my registry and deleted various suspicious keys. Still no change.
Using an older version of Live Update seems not to recognize all installed Norton components. Only the common client and Live reg seems to come up on screen.
I was hoping that perhaps someone else using the TDA release of SystemWorks2004 Pro or NIS2004 Pro may have had some experience with this problem and could suggest a remedy. I will be reformatting soon, however with the recent strain of malicsious internet activity spreading, I did not really want to remain vulnerable until I did so.