Thread: Downloading And Uploading

Suppose 5 or 10 people are uploading video files from me and i also have a download going will the upload slow my download or do the uploads in any way effect the dowloads and vice versa?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Old Fella
    Your download speed and upload speed are 2 separate things so the short answer is no.

However, recommendation is that you allow 80% of your upload bandwidth (can be changed in options). This allows you enough bandwidth for web etc.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    If there's not enough upload bandwidth free to sustain the (invisible) small "send more!" replies for downloads, then your downloads may well be VERY slow.

However, only about 1 KB/sec of upload bandwidth is used for every 40-50 KB/sec of download speed. So even if you only have 4 KB/sec upload bandwidth free, potentially you could download at 160-200 KB/sec if your connection CAN download that fast!

VERY few broadband connections can upload faster than 30 KB/sec. Many can't upload faster than about 10-13 KB/sec. Even at 30 KB/sec, with 10 uploads that's LESS than 3 KB/sec on average (overheads for each adds up.) With 5 uploads at once, uploads MIGHT run 5-6 KB/sec on average.

You have to find out how fast your connection is rated for (by your ISP) and how fast it really IS by watching the speeds in KL++, running online bandwidth tests, and by how fast you can download from VERY fast websites.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Thanks for your replies.
    As Switeck mentioned, How do i find out how fast my connection is rated for? As far as watching speeds on KL++ goes my fastest download was around 40 and upload was around 25, I have a cable connection.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    BANNED
    call your isp and ask them what your download/upload speed is then divide by 8

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Thanks Muscleman.
    One last question, after finding out my download and upload speed how would i figure out the number of maxium simultaneous downloads and uploads?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Old Fella
    The only thing you will need to do is set a limit on uploads, so once you dind that out go in to options/advanced and set the maximum bandwidth to 80% of your total upload speed.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by dark knight@8 February 2004 - 13:14
    Thanks Muscleman.
    One last question, after finding out my download and upload speed how would i figure out the number of maxium simultaneous downloads and uploads?
    With a little math, you can calculate how many uploads it takes to 'use up' any amount of upload bandwidth.

Most likely, you have somewhere between 100 kilobits/sec (12.5 KB/sec) and 300 kilobits/sec (37.5 KB/sec) upload bandwidth -- with about 200 kilobits/sec (25 KB/sec) being most likely.

If you want average upload speed to be 3 KB/sec, then if you only have 100 kilobits/sec (12.5 KB/sec) upload bandwidth TOTAL, that works out to be 4 uploads max.

For 200 kilobits/sec (25 KB/sec), it is 6 uploads max.

For 300 kilobits/sec (37.5 KB/sec), it is 12 uploads max.

If you want average upload speed to be 5 KB/sec, then for:
    100 kilobits/sec (12.5 KB/sec) = 2 or 3 uploads.
    200 kilobits/sec (25 KB/sec) = 5 uploads.
    300 kilobits/sec (37.5 KB/sec) = 7 or 8 uploads.

Make sense?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    ^^ It sure does.
    Thanks a lot guys.