Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing A New Cpu Chip.

Poster
    Yea I know it may be easy for some of you lot but if you don't count the changing on the case, hdd, gfx card and ram this will be my most serious change to my pc and I'm kinda worried about how to go about it.

At the moment I've got a AMD 2000+ and I want to upgrade to a 2500+ Barton.
    Now buying the part is not the hard part it's fitting it, I've never attempted to change or remove the CPU ever! so it might be really easy or it might be a bitch.

Can someone help me out or if it's hard point me in the direction of a tutorial?

Thanks in advance!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Fistly I must ask have you ever opened your comp before? do you understand what is inside the case etc? (just to guage where you are...)
    Changing CPUs is not very hard firstly lets make sure you have what you need.

Checklist:
    CPU
    Thermal Paste, i.e. something like Arctic silver etc just to out between your spu and heatsink
    Heatsink, new one/old one

if you have the above you are ready

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    When ready go here
    CPU install

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Yep I'm familer with the inside of a comp and understand what goes where.

I've got the following today

Thermal Paste
    Heatsink

And the actual new CPU is getting delivered tommorow morning.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You also need a flathead screwdriver for one side of the heatsink latch. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STAB THE MOTHERBOARD WHEN PRYING THE LATCH OFF. RISK OF SEVERE DAMAGE TO MEMORY CIRCUITS.

1) Unplug CPU fan.
    2) Flathead into a little notch on the side of the heatsink latch farthest from the back of the case. It should be the only side with a notch for the tool to fit in. (Some heatsinks may be easier to take off, but I've never dealt with one.) Push down and away from the heatsink to get the latch off the CPU threshold.
    3) Pull rest of heatsink off.
    4) Lift silver lever by CPU (if you find this difficult, loop thin string or wire and pull it up).
    5) Pull CPU out.
    6) Dab thin layer of thermal grease on the middle rectangle on top of chip (not the side with pins)
    7) Insert CPU by matching the two corners missing a pin each with the two missing holes on the motherboard CPU holder.
    8) Push lever down to secure CPU.
    9) Like step 2, but in reverse. Put the side without notch on first (sometimes capacitors get in way so be careful)
    10) Align other side of latch with the part sticking out of the side of the CPU holder on the other side and use the flathead to pull the latch over and under it, this will secure the heatsink on.
    11) Connect CPU fan.

Note: This may get harder if you have some elaborate cooling system, but I doubt you do. If in any way you get confused, email me at [email protected] with a related subject and if you want include pictures for me to further aid you.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    installing the cpu is EXTREMELY easy..the paste is a bit harder though..fallow the instructions on the Artic Silver site.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    installing the cpu is EXTREMELY easy..the paste is a bit harder though..fallow the instructions on the Artic Silver site.
    True, but first time round be carefull, remember the CPU is a thin piece of silicon and will break very easily... if it doesn't want to fit it won't... (at that point p[ost...)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by SciManAl@6 February 2004 - 23:57
    When ready go here
    CPU install
    Just a quick question..

On that picture you linked to, the thermal paste was just left as a blob!
    So I assume it gets squished when you push heatsink on?
    I thought I read by someone here that you should spread it out a bit!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    ok here are my directions..this gave me awesome temps.

Rub some paste on the Heatsink by putting your hand in a plastic bag, then rub the excess paste off the heatsink.

put a little amount of thermal paste on the CPU core, and spread it out evenly with a credit card. make it a very thin layer.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@7 February 2004 - 02:59
    ok here are my directions..this gave me awesome temps.

Rub some paste on the Heatsink by putting your hand in a plastic bag, then rub the excess paste off the heatsink.

put a little amount of thermal paste on the CPU core, and spread it out evenly with a credit card.  make it a very thin layer.
    Why do you need to put paste on both the heatsink and the core? All that does is put twice as much on. The idea is to make the contact between heatsink and processor die better, not to add a layer between.

@ BILLY-THE-FISH:
    THIS PDF DOCUMENT (found on THIS PAGE) is a good guide to installing a heatsink to an Athlon CPU.

I would recommend installing the heatsink/fan with the motherboard removed from the case, and on a flat surface. You won't believe the force needed to get that clip engaged and to do it in situ the first time you attempt it is really asking for trouble.
    Don't worry about losing face amongst peers who may say, "nah, it's a piece of piss, I can do it in 30 seconds without taking the mobo out!" I myself always take the mobo out to do it cos I don't like the way the mobo flexes on its standoffs when you do it in the case.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast