Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing A New Cpu Chip.

SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    I would side with him, but thermal padds simply don't transfer heat very well... All in all i hate them, a paste is the best solution with cooling performance in mind...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SciManAl@7 February 2004 - 20:44
    I would side with him, but thermal padds simply don't transfer heat very well... All in all i hate them, a paste is the best solution with cooling performance in mind...
    Dont Transfer Heat Very Well Ehh? Must not get around to use much Akasa ShinEtsu TiM's.

http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.p...hreadid=292028

If im not mistaken they were debating TIM's against AS3 and 5 in there, very informative topic.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Cram@7 February 2004 - 20:10
    (chucked XP 2000 in bin after new heatsink fitted no more work until next day mate told me this
    clean of thermal grease brussel sprouts and cabbage from bin rescue)
    what did you just say ????? can understand that AT ALL!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+8 February 2004 - 22:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 8 February 2004 - 22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cram@7 February 2004 - 20:10
    (chucked XP 2000 in bin after new heatsink fitted no more work until next day mate told me this
    clean of thermal grease brussel sprouts and cabbage from bin rescue)
    what did you just say ????? can understand that AT ALL&#33; [/b][/quote]
    lol neither can i

btw a good thing to have when installing an AMD chip is an unlocker (altho i have no clue how to install them or where 2 get them from, alot of my friends told me that they beat the pencil trick)

the unlocker is a simple little tab that (i believe) covers a few of the pins on the AMD chip (correct me if im wrong: im not an AMD expert) this basically allows a user to overclock their chip to much higher theoretical levels (lol im sounding like a friggin geek)

since installing a processor seems like such a new concept to you, i suggest that if you want to overclock (dont: you need a decent amount of experience with all the technicalities of the PC [fsb clocks, voltage control, etc.])get one of these tabs. Google is your friend

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    BANNED
    http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs....deos/index.asp

Just in case you need a little visual

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Cram@8 February 2004 - 00:10
    Main prob here is thermal paste and AMD dont go, unless you no how to apply the stuff.
    If you look at AMD site they recommend the thermal pad, simply because if you get that paste on the back of the CPU board it give&#39;s all sort&#39;s of problems
    IE overheating , no boot , BOS and so on, i have been there (chucked XP 2000 in bin after new heatsink fitted no more work until next day mate told me this
    clean of thermal grease brussel sprouts and cabbage from bin rescue) and it&#39;s still running perfect today in another PC.
    you have not done this before i would recommend you follow the fitting instuctions from this thread but use a pad or if u insist on paste spread with your credit card nice and thin and hope you dont have to use it again.

Good luck
    Just make the smallest dab in the center on the cpu.You only need the smallest amount,just enough to say theres some there.Putting more on than that is wasting it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by DWk@8 February 2004 - 18:43

wow thx i just spend 2 hours watching uncle bob teaching me everything i need to know

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    BANNED
    Lol. I&#39;m glad there are things like this, for rookies (well I&#39;m sick of using n0obs) to learn how to do this

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Originally posted by DWk@9 February 2004 - 02:43

Wow, Nice site and video&#39;s&#33;
    Gonner be Very useful to me when I build mine soon&#33;&#33;
    Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123