Thread: Important Newbie Question About Recording

internet.news
    Ok, as you may know I bought some time ago a Pinnacle Video Card.

I installed the software "Pinnacle Studio 8 Trial" and it seems that I have
    registered it. During the trial period I changed the settings to MPEG1 so that I have
    on my 4GB free HD space around 4-7hours recording time at around 340x288
    resolution.

Recently I wanted to record another tape but my trial seems no longer working,
    ok: I downloaded a working 8 version of PS on K-Lite, but after I installed it I have
    no possibilities to change settings the same way "recording as MPEG1" to use my
    HD space the smart way.

Now, I am asking all experienced people who usually are ripping some videos form
    tape to pc at what kind of resolution, what kind of codec it would be the most
    efficient way for me to rip movies on my 800mhz, 4GB free HD space, win98se PC?
    My PC is not the fastest, fast enough for working and the Trial 8 Version works
    finally fine? I also used VirtualDu, but it seems to rip in AVI?

Any little help appreciated,

David Nierzwicki, a despereately hopeless K-Lite Video Card User.

PS. I bought this Pinnacle card, because it was the only card with
    best recommendations.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    You don't need pinnacle studio to capture the recordings.

Use PCTV Vision to capture, and download Tmpgenc and use it to convert to
    vcd.

You can use LSX encoder to convert to mpeg 1 if you want to create non-vcd complient mpeg 1 video. Its more versatile in that way than tmpgenc.
    Robert00000

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I'm no expert, but I'm not sure if 4GB is enough space to capture video, even if you encode it on the fly. You'll get better results if you install a second hard drive and use it just for capturing video.

I use a small simple program called AMCap (which may be in your Pinnacle folder) to capture video as uncompressed avi, then convert to mpeg with TMPGEnc.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@8 February 2004 - 04:11
    I'm no expert, but I'm not sure if 4GB is enough space to capture video, even if you encode it on the fly. You'll get better results if you install a second hard drive and use it just for capturing video.

I use a small simple program called AMCap (which may be in your Pinnacle folder) to capture video as uncompressed avi, then convert to mpeg with TMPGEnc.
    4GB was enough - other methods needed more HD space - so I ripped in MPEG1
    and then convert to DivX. Thanks for your thoughts.

I was a little confused cause there are many codecs and I don't know what is the
    best one. I use DivX normally. I will see, it will show at some time. Thanks.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    youre not a newbie