Thread: Slackware, Debian, Or Gentoo?

Poster
    I have been using red hat 9 for about 3 months now, and I think I am ready to move on to a more advanced distrobution, and I was wondering which one I should get. I am kind of leaning towards slackware right now but could go either way...

This looks like a useful tool for slackware: http://www.swaret.org

How much experience would someone need to be able to use debian or gentoo? Are they really even that hard?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    h1
    Slackware's OK... if you feel like it try out Debian first then Gentoo, but I'm warning you, Gentoo was a bitch for me to build / install the first time around.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Not that this reply is really relevent to the thread but this should be moved to the new Linux section . Get its post count up there! Might also get better answers from more linux saavy people

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    h1
    No need... I've already reported a topic requesting the topics I listed to be moved. They were posts from three months back discussing Linux.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Well, I'm not too proficient with Linux, but I've tried to install a couple here and there. Live disks make my life easier.

Now, Debian is a big competetor. Have you seen it's package list?!!?
    I know people that who've worked with Debian and they won't pick anything else, but I warn you... going through 7 disks of software may be a bit much.

Slackware... I only hear good things.
    Not as much software dostributed with it as Debian (but what isn't ) but it's used by a lot of pros I hear.

Gentoo I haven't heard too much about, but what could be a better learning experience than making your own distro? You can make it as light as you want, but that's gotta be hard.

In the end it's all a matter of taste. Why not try 'em all? Hey, you could do it virtually, right? VMware

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    7 disks?&#33; , I think I will try slackware first

thanks for the help

yayy linux section&#33;&#33;