Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Good Is Ronnie O'sullivan

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Currently 6-1 up, live on BBC2.

OK, I know no-one really cares about snooker here but the man must be acknowledged. He is playing the best snooker of his (and anyone else's) life and is a joy to watch.

I'm a big fan of Paul Hunter too but I don't think he's gonna get near Ronnie today.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    He is a superb natural talent, with a questionable mentality for the game. I doubt he will ever come close to the likes of Hendry or Davis, who played very much in their own heads. Ronnie I think plays more with his heart.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    His mentality is definitely better now, he is playing for the love of the game and it is translating to success at the table.

You're right I don't think he will ever be the player Hendry is (was?), but Hendry's skill is almost untouchable and he is the consumate professional with the ideal mentality.

However I do think that his talent is greater than Steve Davis' ever was, he's just not quite as consistent.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I wish we could watch your snooker matches here; I've seen Steve Davis play in the Mosconi Cup.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by Skillian@8 February 2004 - 18:46
    His mentality is definitely better now, he is playing for the love of the game and it is translating to success at the table.

You're right I don't think he will ever be the player Hendry is (was?), but Hendry's skill is almost untouchable and he is the consumate professional with the ideal mentality.

However I do think that his talent is greater than Steve Davis' ever was, he's just not quite as consistent.
    That's a bit unfair. Steve Davis won the world championship on a large number of occasions and goodness knows how many other ranking tournaments. He dominated his sport for around a decade.

People say that Tiger Woods is the best Golfer ever, in spite of the Fact that Jack Nicklaus won 18 Majors.

Sorry but as far as I am concerned until people actually win things, then all they have is potential. I know Ronnie has won the world championship and a few other things, but he is not in the same league as Davis, yet.

Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry are the two greatest snooker players ever and by a long way.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Ronnie really is amazing, his natural talent is untrue and all his peers agree. He has broken so many records. Many people dont like him because of his attitude and his past with drugs. But put aside that and watch his talent on the table.

Such records he hold are:
    Fastest 147
    Most 147's
    Most 147's in a tornement

Great player also he can play right handed and left handed which is cool.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by Nogimics@8 February 2004 - 21:47
    Ronnie really is amazing, his natural talent is untrue and all his peers agree. He has broken so many records. Many people dont like him because of his attitude and his past with drugs. But put aside that and watch his talent on the table.

Such records he hold are:
    Fastest 147
    Most 147's
    Most 147's in a tornement

Great player also he can play right handed and left handed which is cool.
    Eric Bristow said "180s for show, doubles for dough".

Similarly with snooker, the greats take the cup home. Whether they get a 147 or not. Look at Jimmy, a total genius, 6 world finals, didn't win any of them.

Hendry and Davis are the greats of snooker.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Not trying to take anything away from Davis, but the standard of snooker during his heyday wasn't as good as it now.

Anyway, what a match! Paul Hunter came back to win 10-9, it couldn't have been more exciting. I was a little disappointed, but he played so well he deserved to win.

I haven't seen Curley on the board for some time, but I believe she knows Paul Hunter so I know she will have been watching and will be very pleased.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by Skillian@9 February 2004 - 01:00
    Not trying to take anything away from Davis, but the standard of snooker during his heyday wasn't as good as it now.

Anyway, what a match! Paul Hunter came back to win 10-9, it couldn't have been more exciting. I was a little disappointed, but he played so well he deserved to win.

I haven't seen Curley on the board for some time, but I believe she knows Paul Hunter so I know she will have been watching and will be very pleased.
    There is another old saying, you can only beat who they put in front of you. Davis did that, too often to mention (or was that Frank Sinatra)

Anyway, well done for coming back and posting when your guy got beat. A lot of people would not have bothered.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Anyway, well done for coming back and posting when your guy got beat. A lot of people would not have bothered.
    I'm getting used to it now. See my Spurs/Man City thread last week

You have a nice posting style, are you really a new member? If you are, you are a very welcome one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast