Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comp Getting Slow And Laggy

Download the latest chipset drivers from ASUS and the latest BIOS revision.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 February 2004 - 19:53
    you did reinstall your operating system right? im NOT saying that you HAVE TO reinstall (format then install, or even repair install) but it is a lot easier than trying to uninstall old drivers and putting in the new board and getting those ones installed imo. so make sure you reinstall and also i think you should install the latest chipset drivers to work out any bugs that may be in the old drivers. last thing is to defragment and trim down your startup in msconfig and services in services.msc
    my hdd was completely formated and os was reinstalled. so i don't have to worry bout old drivers. msconfig is all tidy already. i can't seem to get this chipset driver for my mobo to work. everytime i install it, my comp freezes, and i can't open any windows. when i do, my explorer.exe goes crazy and takes up 100% of cpu space. and it still won't open. then i tried it withouth installing the driver, and everything is fine. wat up?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    haha...

um..i duno..thats wierd..maybe try to reformat windows again...no biggy if you have 2 partitions
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    bigdawg fox there is a guide for the services Here (blackviper.com) but its only services not the full guide that adam posted.

but also go to msconfig and turn off as many startup items as you can, run a spyware program and antivirus which im sure you already have.

defragment. make your pagefile is a set number. (like say 500mb min, 500max; not 200min- 500max) because it will reduce defragmentation and speed it up becuase it doesnt have to keep resizing. Also put it on a different partition other than your system parition.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I know that an Intel P4 CPU has a built in protection that will slow it down if pushed too far. Maybe that's the cause of your lag.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    abu. how have u tested that your machine is stable?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 February 2004 - 20:08
    I know that an Intel P4 CPU has a built in protection that will slow it down if pushed too far. Maybe that's the cause of your lag.
    well, rite now it's clocked back down to 2.4

and @ livy, yes, i've run many burn in tests at 3.2. and played halo and some other pretty heavy games. all worked fine

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    try slowly clockign it up, and running the cpu benchmark test, and see if it rises, say go 100mhz at a time, or whatever is easyest. and see if it does go up, and if it a point it starts dropping again

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+8 February 2004 - 20:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 8 February 2004 - 20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@8 February 2004 - 20:08
    I know that an Intel P4 CPU has a built in protection that will slow it down if pushed too far. Maybe that&#39;s the cause of your lag.
    well, rite now it&#39;s clocked back down to 2.4

and @ livy, yes, i&#39;ve run many burn in tests at 3.2. and played halo and some other pretty heavy games. all worked fine [/b][/quote]
    you may be reading the wrong sensor and the cpu may actually be really hot, but i doubt that...

ive got a idea, get that wcpuid program and see what clock frequency it is displaying then you will know if it is throttling it down becuase of a heating problem or somehting like that.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by Livy@8 February 2004 - 20:11
    try slowly clockign it up, and running the cpu benchmark test, and see if it rises, say go 100mhz at a time, or whatever is easyest. and see if it does go up, and if it a point it starts dropping again
    i think there&#39;s something wrong with the cpu. at 3.2, i get 0-5 fps in the troll&#39;s lair cpu test. at 2.4, i still get 0-5 fps in that test. wat do u think?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast