Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cd Cleaning Tips

What are some tips for cleaning compact discs. Is it bad to use windex or rubbing alchhol, because i have used windex before and it didn't ruin my cds. Don't say to buy a special cleaning liquid im talking something household . Thanks .

2. Lounge   -   #2
    I didn't really know where to make this thread, but does anyone know any tips on how to clean cds. I used windex and alchohol before and my cds were never destroyed, but just wondering is their anyting else house hold htat will work? Thanks also is windex good to use?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Spit works for me.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    You need ironoxide or aluminumoxide, in the paste form and use a polishing cloth. It will take a LONG time to polish by hand.

I have used rag wheels on an electric grinder, and polidhed CDs (with the paste) that were "hopeless", and recovered them 100% But you got to be careful because I had one catch the wheel and it ripped the CD from my hand and cracked the CD.

This medthod won't fix deep scratches, but it will fix minor scratches and fogged areas.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You can also try car polish.

As soon as you get the CD to work... Copy it to a new CD-R.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    @Michael2
    I've merged your thread in Muiscworld with this one. Please post only once.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I believe you can get free software that can recover your damaged cd's. Then when this is done ,as Virtual says copy it to a new cd or your hard disk if you dont have a cd-r.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    thanks, but its not really cause of scratches, but more of dirrtyness. Can i use windex or alchohol rubbing?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Michael2@9 February 2004 - 17:23
    thanks, but its not really cause of scratches, but more of dirrtyness. Can i use windex or alchohol rubbing?
    Windex, not alchohol.

You got to make backups and use those, if you are that worried about dusting the CD. Christ, I just blow a little spit on the disk and wipe it on my shirt. Never had a problem.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    ur sure windex is okay k thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast