Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hosting Web Site

Poster
    Can I host a web site from my pc? do I need specific software or anything? if I can, can I get a step by step guide on how to set it up? I'm really just going to use it to test some scripts etc untill I buy hosting on the web.

PS. I use windows xp.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    http://www.apache.org/ download the binaries for windows and follow the instructions to install.

i would recommend you dont allow it access to the internet if your only using for local testing.

there is also iis installed with windows xp pro.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    muchspl2
    plenty of free webhost
    1&1 was great but the promotion is over and you have to pay, look around
    http://www.nexuswebs.net/ is pretty good

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Do you actually need any knowledge on how to build or create a website on these free hosts or is it something every noob can do?Do they have like a wizard or something like that,that helps you out with every step you take?
    I kinda get the idea on how the stuff works but my knowledge on html and other languages is slim to none...so,is it something I could get myself in to or should I just sick to lame ass communities

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/

That is what you are looking for. by no means is it a cake walk or easy.

But I did it and it can be done by a non-IT person.

Chances are however your ISP won't allow you to do it, and it is a greater pain in the ass if you don't have a static IP. But you may very well have a static IP and an ISP that will allow you, so have at it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by stupidguy@10 February 2004 - 10:30
    Can I host a web site from my pc? do I need specific software or anything? if I can, can I get a step by step guide on how to set it up? I'm really just going to use it to test some scripts etc untill I buy hosting on the web.

PS. I use windows xp.
    Can your computer stay on at least 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If not then each time your offline it will cause problems to the people that need to get to any sites your hosting. It's a breeze if you have more than one pc, but if that is your only pc then chances are your uptime is going to be minimal. There are tons of free webhost out there to choose from. That may be your best option.

If you must do it then I would say IIS is the best web server for xp because it was designed to run on xp, just install it from the disk. Any other web servers would be considered third party and third party means more ram and cpu power which is the most important thing to consider when your running a webserver is the load.

Apache on windows is an option but it has never met up to its expectations as it has on linux. And by the time you load all the modules for it like php and what not it can really be a memory hog under a high load. But you get unlimited connections and with xp ond IIS you can only have up to 10 concurrent connections. So it depends on how much traffic you expect to get. B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/sswww.htm

here you go, a very simple web server, just click to browse where the site is, then click start to start it.

good for a newbie

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I have no problems with computer uptime shn. Anyway as I said I'm mainly just going to use it to test some php scripts.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by stupidguy@10 February 2004 - 14:53
    I have no problems with computer uptime shn. Anyway as I said I'm manly just going to use it to test some php scripts.
    Then you need to have php installed as well and your server has to be configured for php.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Any ideas how to do that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast