Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc Problems...

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    My dad has just announced all of a sudden his homepage has changed to www.123.com

I have sworn blind his pc has been hijacked by adware/spyware but he refuses to listen to me. Can I just get a few people on here to tell me their own PERSONAL opinion on this matter as he's not listening to a word I say. I've been telling him for months to make sure his PC is updated regularly for anti-virus definitions & spybot definitions, but it's like talking to a brick wall.

I'll definately show him all responses on this thread, so don't be shy.

Cheers all,

Samurai

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Run a scan with Ad-Aware. My mate had something similar and found 50 bits of spyware!

It can't hurt to try it!
    We can't stop here... this is bat country

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    cant he change it back by going into internet options
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    I usually find boiling water helps.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Mr Hand&#39;s Busy Right Now&#33; So Talk To Mr FOOKIN FINGER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</span></span>

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    just recently i got attacked by a pest. it changed my homepage and added loads of daft address in my favourites. all to sites like search.net or something. it pissed me off no end, i ran s&d which got rid of a lot of dofgy registry keys which were suprisingly a flaw in ie. but i have my good friend adster to thank for giving me a program called hijackthis, which cleared my system good and proper. my advice is to sort it out.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    I got one that bad it actually remove the page where you change you homepage set up in the internet options.It somehow change me registry settings.

It does my head in how they get away with it.Lol i`ve just installed a new firewall to stop hackers and it came along with 13 bits of spyware for free.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-9471.html - More thread confirming its a browser hijack.

You need SpyBot-Search & Destroy to get rid of any spyware/adware on your system. Its a free software you can download from here
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by enoughfakefiles@10 February 2004 - 13:22
    I got one that bad it actually remove the page where you change you homepage set up in the internet options.It somehow change me registry settings.

It does my head in how they get away with it.Lol i`ve just installed a new firewall to stop hackers and it came along with 13 bits of spyware for free.

Btw, firewall only stop lamers and newbies
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Use &#39;Sygate Personal Firewall Pro&#39; for your firewall mate.

Cheers for all your responses so far... I&#39;ve told my dad countless times what needs to be done, and I&#39;m sick of shouting at him. He thinks his AV is going to sort it out, I hope his PC fucking fries. He&#39;s pissed me off so much with his ignorance, he thinks I&#39;m just bullshitting him

10. Lounge   -   #10
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Originally posted by Samurai@10 February 2004 - 20:29
    Use &#39;Sygate Personal Firewall Pro&#39; for your firewall mate.

Cheers for all your responses so far... I&#39;ve told my dad countless times what needs to be done, and I&#39;m sick of shouting at him. He thinks his AV is going to sort it out, I hope his PC fucking fries. He&#39;s pissed me off so much with his ignorance, he thinks I&#39;m just bullshitting him
    Lolol what a coincidence that`s the very firewall i`ve just installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast