Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question W Overnet

powerstick's Avatar Poster
    Today my isp disconnected my service from the net. Many people were calling them reporting snail speed service and function ability. My isp traced it back to my computer and they stated that my computer was either functioning as a server, has a virus which is sending itself out to all the ip addresses it can find, or a few other things. They said that I was connected to 20,000 different computers at the same time with different ip addresses transferring date in and out. I was not notified of this at work when they cut off my connection. I came home at 6:30 PM to find that my connection had been dropped. I tried a few different things to maneuver it but nothing worked. I then called my isp (Texas Broadband) and I was told that I was disconnected @ 2:30 remotely because of the items stated above. They asked me what I was doing and I told them I was at work and that I wasn’t doing anything. I told them that I leave my computer on 24/7 and share files. They told me that I don’t need to do this. I told them that I use Overnet and I don’t know why I was connected to 20, 000 different ip addresses at the same time. I was told to run an anti virus which runs in the background. I then did a through background scan of my entire pc and everything was clean. I use Norton Anti Virus. That means that it is Overnet which has caused me to connect to 20,000 different computers at the same time. (I don’t care if I’m connected to 100,000. What the hell does it matter?) Anyways, I have been waiting for a telephone call from them for some time now. (About 3 hours) I am using a dial up connection as of the time I am writing this. (MSN) I had my maximum # of connections set to 60 as I was told by Musleman to do. If I pay for my own connection, why can’t I use up all of the bandwidth that I want? In the tos it doesn’t say anything about bandwidth. Also now when I boot up my computer, it takes about 1----1.3 minutes to boot up. Why is this? I run my disk defragmenter every day. Could this be something to do with it?

I am now considering another isp if my isp is going to be disconnecting me for using so much bandwidth and sharing files. This is censorship if you ask me. I was even told by Warren that he uses Kazaa Lite. He works for the company. I had the isp remove my hardware firewall about a month ago when I questioned them about it. Anyway, what is the fastest connection one could get and not have this problem? I am talking about what would be equal to what I have now maybe? I have wireless broadband 768 KB/s. I was just fixing to switch to 1.5 mbps in a month too. I just switched from 256 KB/s to 768 KB/S. Man this sucks now. Any suggestions?
    Make your files the smallest possible to share. If you don't you how I recomend DR. DivX. It will do it for you. We don't want to have to dl that 2.5 gig sh*t for a movie or 2 SVCD's. SMALLEST FORMAT ALWAYS!!!!!!

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    I used A2 Personal and I found trojandropper.win32.exe I looked it up on google, hotbot, ask jeves, and lycos but I didn't find the specified trojan. I got this trojan from ODC. From now on I am doing a trojan scan every few days. Also A2 Personal automatically updates for new trojans and runs in the background. I am definately keeping this program. I spoke to my isp also and they told me that they will put my connection back up but they recomend that I get a corporate account since I stream about 400 KB. It flunctuates but that is about average as of now. They told me that I am filling up their pipes with my connection. If they have another problem I am going to a corporate account so I can do anything I want with it with no problems. Btw it cost way more so thats why they are wanting me to go to it I think.

My machine is now cleaned. I am happy for this moment.
    Make your files the smallest possible to share. If you don't you how I recomend DR. DivX. It will do it for you. We don't want to have to dl that 2.5 gig sh*t for a movie or 2 SVCD's. SMALLEST FORMAT ALWAYS!!!!!!

3. File Sharing   -   #13

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Hi Cyril,

Can you share with us your experience with tweaking zonealarm to allow overnet to become open. I'm using Zonealarm Pro 3.5.166. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12