Thread: What Distro Works On The New 2.6.x Kernel?

Okay, with the introduction of the new 2.6 Linux Kernel going stable, everyone was pretty excited, right? Well, it is a significant improvement, and it may take quite some time for the next major changes to the Linux Kernel. There are well over two hundred different distrobutions of Linux, but what distros ship with the new Kernel? You may be disappointed to find out that the list isn't that long as of yet, but here is a list from DistroWatch. Within the paraenthesis are the versions of the newest Linux Kernel each distro are using.

TurboLinux (2.6.0)
    Currently the only general purpose desktop shipping with the new kernel. In October 2003 TurboLinux 10 Desktop shipped with kernel 2.6.0-test5, and they announced that they would provide a method for updating to the stable 2.6 kernel, and they have. You can update though TurboLinux's updating program or you can download a full update kit HERE.

Fedora Core development branch (2.6.1)
    The Fedora Project was started by Red Hat but open for general participation, and has a goal to create a general purpose operating system compiled completely of free software. This currently expermental, but there are hopes of the Fedora Core being integrated into later Red Hat products. However, there are currently distros based on the current Fedora Core

Mandrake 10 Beta2 (2.6.2rc3)
    Mandrake is one of the better known distros, and amongst the easiest to use for beginners or experinnced Linux users. This version is also in testing.

Debian (2.6.2)
    Debian is one of the oldest distros still active. This version is not stable and this kernel is not the default one. Many of the old time Linux users recognize debian. Debian is rich with software as it has more than 8710 packages

Gentoo Linux (2.6.2)
    This is another release that is unstable and this kernel is not the default kernel. Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux distribution geared towards developers and network professionals. Unlike other distros, Gentoo Linux has an advanced package management system called Portage. Portage is a true ports system in the tradition of BSD ports, but is Python-based and sports a number of advanced features including dependencies, fine-grained package management, "fake" (OpenBSD-style) installs, safe unmerging, system profiles, virtual packages, config file management, and more.

Arch Linux (2.6.2)
    This kernel is not the default kernel. Arch Linux is currently under development and it's current release is pre-1.x. Arch Linux is an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline), and is made to be a fast and flexible distro.

Sorcerer Linux (2.6.2)
    This kernel is not the default kernel. Sorecerer Linux is source based, and must be downloaded and compiled with the architecture and optimizations that the system administrator specifies. This allows for more customizability as it is built to your system.

Conectiva Linux (2.6.2)
    Conectiva Inc. is a Brazilian company which distributes Linux packages in all of Brazil as well as South America and also develops solutions for the Linux platform. In 1999 it was awarded by Info Exame Magazine the award for The Year's Most Innovative Company. Conectiva Linux 4.0 was also elected the Best Operating System. Conectiva is the first distributor of Linux outside the US - Europe - Japan axis.

Magic Linux (2.6.0)
    Magic Linux is a new distribution, which is specifically designed for Chinese users. Magic Linux is a non-commercial production completely developed by Linux enthusiasts with a simple motive in mind: say farewell to endless Chinese localisations from one Linux distribution to another and bring the native Chinese support to your desktop.

Berry Linux (2.6.2rc3)
    Berry Linux is a live disk distro (no install required) from Japan. It's current version is pre-1.x.

Bluewall Linux (2.6.0)
    Buewall Linux is a 189MB distro based on Debian Linux. It sets up a small environment, the way many live disks do, allowing the user to install the operating system. It is meant to treat installation as modular as possible as it has no set installation precedure. You must install the OS, essentially piece by piece, through the live bash shell and other command line tools.

JoLinux (2.6.0)
    JoLinux is a Brazilian desktop Linux distribution for ix86 platforms based on Slackware Linux.

KnoppiXMAME (2.6.1)
    A live disk distro, KnoppixMAME is a bootable arcade machine emulator with hardware detection and autoconfiguration. It works automatically on all modern and not-so-modern hardware, including gameports and joysticks. It is powered by Knoppix Debian GNU/Linux, X-MAME, and gxmame.

Linux Netwosix (2.6.1)
    Linux Netwosix is a powerful and optimised Linux distribution for servers and network security related jobs. With its collection of security oriented software, it is designed to be used for special operations, such as penetration tests. Linux Netwosix is a light, portable and highly configurable distribution created for system administrators. It has a powerful ports system (Nepote), similar to the BSD systems, but more flexible and usable.

SharkLinux (2.6.1)
    Shark Linux is a new distribution of a Linux-based operating system. The goal of Shark Linux is to provide a stable environment with easy administration, targeting 64-bit AMD Opteron and Athlon 64 processors. Shark Linux aims to become a hardware optimised operating system with its own unique set of management tools and new functionality of the ANSI console for administrator use. Combined with ease of use and optimised code, it should outperform other out-of-the-box systems from the start. Shark Linux is derived from the Gentoo Linux project.

That's it. Currently (as of 2/11/2004) 15 distros shipping with the new 2.6.x kernel, some of them experimental. 15 out of over 200 doesn't sound like much does it? Well, it takes a lot of work, and it's for free, too. If you can't wait, compile the kernel yourself. This can have many benefits. Just look it up.

Why not too many live disk distros? Well, from what i've read, the new 2.6.x kernel doesn't allows this easily, at least with the current method many live disks are built on. Some are having a problem with the virtual filesystem created, some are having problem with certain programs being compatible with the new kernel while maintaining the proper drivers so everyone can use it. The list goes on.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Good job xero grid

i&#39;m planning on downloading the new 2.6.2 and compiling it on red hat

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    h1
    Excellent list.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Great work xero-grid, I cant wait to get my hands on a 2.6 kernel.

Turbo linux and desktop I havent used turbo linux in about 2 years they were always good for servers. But they kinda specialize in japanese community if you know what I mean I could hardly get support from them they spoke to me in japanese

Oh and I see a few live disk on there with 2.6 kernel. Ill definately be trying thoose out.