Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Adsl Soon...

iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Originally posted by haxor41789@13 February 2004 - 23:38
    Satellite might be another option for you.
    Uh...ADSL is satellite...right?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by [&#045;Crono&#045;]+14 February 2004 - 19:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([-Crono-] @ 14 February 2004 - 19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-haxor41789@13 February 2004 - 23:38
    Satellite might be another option for you.
    Uh...ADSL is satellite...right? [/b][/quote]
    No.

ADSL is a method for moving data over regular phone lines. An ADSL circuit is much faster than a regular phone connection, and the wires coming into the subscriber&#39;s premises are the same (copper) wires used for regular phone service. An ADSL circuit must be configured to connect two specific locations, similar to a leased line. A commonly discussed configuration of ADSL would allow a subscriber to receive data (download) at speeds of up to 1.544 Megabits per second, and to send (upload) data at speeds of 128 kilobits per second. Thus the &#39;Asymmetric&#39; part of the acronym. Another configuration would be symmetrical: 384 kilobits per second in both directions. In theory ADSL allows download speeds of up to 9 megabits per second and upload speeds of up to 640 kilobits per second. ADSL is often discussed as an alternative to ISDN, allowing higher speeds in cases where the connection is always to the same place.

ADSL and DSL is bascially the same thing.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Poster
    congrats [-Crono-] - you&#39;ll wonder how you ever managed with 56k
    haha thats true

i have a 256 kbps connection thats like 32 k/s download so dont worry u will be higher than that and as CoolMac said lol .. appriciat what u have
    congrats mate

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    Ok, cool, thanks NightStalker, really cleared me up on that. Damn...now I just can&#39;t wait to get this...you&#39;d figure since I&#39;ve been on 56K for so long I&#39;ve learned to develope patience, but that got thrown out the window when I heard how much faster it is compare to 56K...I don&#39;t know how much more waiting I can take&#33;
    *Come on...just a couple more days...you can do this.*

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    Are you connected using PPPOE (using windows). Try using RASPPPOE. It is the best PPPOE driver out there

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@14 February 2004 - 21:41
    Are you connected using PPPOE (using windows). Try using RASPPPOE. It is the best PPPOE driver out there
    Ok, I don&#39;t have the ADSL yet...so I have no idea what you&#39;re talking about.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by [&#045;Crono&#045;]@14 February 2004 - 22:24
    Ok, cool, thanks NightStalker, really cleared me up on that. Damn...now I just can&#39;t wait to get this...you&#39;d figure since I&#39;ve been on 56K for so long I&#39;ve learned to develope patience, but that got thrown out the window when I heard how much faster it is compare to 56K...I don&#39;t know how much more waiting I can take&#33;
    *Come on...just a couple more days...you can do this.*
    Yeah, as they say "Patience is a virtue"; I still have about 3 or so months, before I can get high speed internet access in this area. :helpsmile:

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #18
    Originally posted by [&#045;Crono&#045;]+15 February 2004 - 04:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([-Crono-] @ 15 February 2004 - 04:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ariel_001@14 February 2004 - 21:41
    Ok, I don&#39;t have the ADSL yet...so I have no idea what you&#39;re talking about. [/b][/quote]
    Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet.

PPP over Ethernet, a somewhat odd protocol that makes Ethernet look like a point-to-point serial link. It is widely used for cable or ADSL Internet services, apparently mainly because it lets the providers use access control and address assignmment mechanisms developed for dialup networks
    think of it as "dial up" but 100 times faster

Look here

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #19
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@13 February 2004 - 00:20
    I got a 3.5 mbps down and 256 kb up. For 40 bucks a month. Comcast
    you can&#39;t download shit with comcast
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12