Thread: Digital Rights Management ?

b4icu's Avatar Greater Demon
    Never seen or heard of this before, but from my initial web research, it appears to have been in the news for 5-6 years. I have this .wmv video file that will not open in winamp, and when I try it with MS media player, i get a SECURITY UPGRADE REQUIRED prompt. This states that i need to "upgrade" microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) components on my computer. Am I being paranoid, or does this sound like a blatant way of corporations to use spyware? i dont really want to send microsuck any information. anyone have a clue how to bypass this drm protection shite and watch the video?
    Never miss a good chance to shut up

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    internet.news
    Originally posted by b4icu@13 February 2004 - 04:36
    Never seen or heard of this before, but from my initial web research, it appears to have been in the news for 5-6 years. I have this .wmv video file that will not open in winamp, and when I try it with MS media player, i get a SECURITY UPGRADE REQUIRED prompt. This states that i need to "upgrade" microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) components on my computer. Am I being paranoid, or does this sound like a blatant way of corporations to use spyware? i dont really want to send microsuck any information. anyone have a clue how to bypass this drm protection shite and watch the video?
    I experience this issue with a WMA File as it needed a valid license.

If you want to avoid this problem, only download *.MPG Files - they
    are bigger sometimes, but for me they always worked without a problem.
    It is a common format.

As I know some WMA or WMV Files (is the same I think, as from Microsoft),
    may need licesnes.

Edited: Is it a music video, you downloaded? If the video is known good
    among ppl you might easily find an MPG File on K-Lite or on another p2p
    If it is a harder to find video, it is difficult...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    b4icu's Avatar Greater Demon
    it is a rare windows media video file of stacy marie fuson (prrr). its name is preceded by avid. maybe ill just have to trash the files, as i wish to not risk opening my "unique computer identifier" to the microsoft demon. thanks though.
    Never miss a good chance to shut up