Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Run Both E-donkey & E-mule ...

I tried "E-donkey E-mule together" in the search, but I couldn't find anything, or rather, too many unrelated topics popped up, so ...

Can you run both E-donkey and E-mule at the same time, having the same INCOMING folder, but with different TEMP folders, ex. /mule/temp & /donkey/temp, so as not to mix up the new/old download formats? also, could they use the same TCP/UDP ports, or should they be assigned different ports?

The donkey/overnet seems much faster on a single file basis when it gets to partner and use the hoard, but though the mule seems generally slower, it seems to be able to download a bunch of files slowly but evenly. Also, it seems that the mule has more sources for some files (maybe because more use it and the old style downloading).

Anyone ever tried this? What do you guys think? Thanks.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Also, should you connect to different servers, just in case, to avoid getting banned, etc? Thanks again.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    i'm not sure if you can, and if so why would you want to?? i have emule, edonkey and overnet, and overnet finds more sources 99% of the time.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@13 February 2004 - 04:25
    i'm not sure if you can, and if so why would you want to?? i have emule, edonkey and overnet, and overnet finds more sources 99% of the time.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a very, very slow cable connection, so I don't think I get that penalized by e-mule's small kb transfers, specially during regular hours, where the net seems to crawl. During this time, I don't get to maximize the potentially greater kb transfers of e-donkey/overnet, so I was thinking, for the stuff that's slow on overnet/e-donkey, why not try the e-mule. Maybe it'll be like the turtle and the rabbit, who knows?

Anyway, I'll check this later, as I gotta go. Thanks.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    BANNED
    man stop waisting your time with emule and just use overnet, you are not gonna get faster than overnet

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    You're probably right. I just have a really slow cable connection.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Well, I tried it anyway. I had to use different ports for both, or E-mule would get an error. I also removed the duplicate servers in the E-mule list to make sure I don't connect to the same server with 2 different clients. The result, it worked, but .....

As is the usual case with E-mule, it started immediately taking a lot of the upload bandwidth, easily 4x or 5x more than what the E-donkey upload was using; I hadn't even started searching for files yet. I think this caused the E-donkey upload to go way down. I then got a warning from the server E-donkey was connected to about lowid and how the server won't tolerate this, or something like that.

Not wanting to get blacklisted, I killed both programs, and restarted E-donkey. All back to normal. wheew!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    It is impossible to use Emule / Edonkey same time. You have to switch them. They use same port to communicate. And file structure is some different between them.

I am Emule user before, but only use eD/ON for DL now. There are too many Emule mods, some so selfish, some so Evil, and they kill each other.

What kind Emule mod do you use??

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by sarefin@14 February 2004 - 14:53
    It is impossible to use Emule / Edonkey same time. You have to switch them. They use same port to communicate. And file structure is some different between them.

I am Emule user before, but only use eD/ON for DL now. There are too many Emule mods, some so selfish, some so Evil, and they kill each other.

What kind Emule mod do you use??
    Hi.

I used to use the regular e-mule program, the one on their main site. Then I tried overnet, which seemed so much faster, then I tried the edonkey2000, which gave me more sources for files than overnet, since it connects to both overnet and an edonkey server.

I used to rely solely on kazaa lite, but since late last year, I couldn't stay connected to any supernode; I think it might be my internet provider, or maybe there aren't that many supernodes near here. It became practically unusable.

Though the edonkey/emule technology is significantly slower than kazaa, they have much more selection, specially with rare files, which is great.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    BANNED
    eDonkey2000 publishes to servers that can be set up by anyone. Once the network reaches a certain size these servers become a bottle neck to the performance. Users can no longer search the entire network for things they are interested in. And the servers become more and more bogged down.

Overnet searches and publishes in a completely decentralized way. It works such that when you search you are searching all users of the network. Overnet can scale to millions of concurrent users with no loss of performance. It fixes the problems with the eDonkey2000 network. more info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast