Thread: Linix

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I know do to the time zones its hard to find some chatter on why I sould try Unix.
    But Im sure this is here to stay. Please don't acusse me of spaming I was really trying to boost the post counts DOH! Just kidding I didn't realize this forum even existed . Great I'm ready to try on my older system's first so please bere with me I 'm just trying to learn

Pol just move all the linux posts here you 'v got your 80 posts

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by peat moss@12 February 2004 - 22:55
    I know do to the time zones its hard to find some chatter on why I sould try Unix.
    But Im sure this is here to stay. Please don't acusse me of spaming I was really trying to boost the post counts DOH! Just kidding I didn't realize this forum even existed . Great I'm ready to try on my older system's first so please bere with me I 'm just trying to learn

Pol just move all the linux posts here you 'v got your 80 posts
    Grasp a general understanding of unix and you will catch on to linux. You dont have to learn unix yet, just understand how it works, why its beneficial and most importantly how you can benefit from it.

For example, one tiny reason I use linux is because it is a multitasking o.s. and handles memory a lot better than windows. No matter how much memory you have windows will gobble it up just because its there. So I can have 4 or 5 virtual desktops in linux and be multitasking in all of them at the same time......watching a movie in one, writing document and managing files in another, running various filesharing apps in another virtual desktop and, so and so forth.

Also once you get the hang of linux you can finely tune your system and get rid of any junk drivers, or other crap that may have been built in by default. By having control over your system like that it enables your box to run more efficiently because the system is running on only what it needs and not what was built in by default.

I hope I made that as simple as possible

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    h1
    All Linux posts have been moved here, I went three months back in each forum and told the mods to move those posts.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Thank you both