Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13 Reasons To Use Firefox

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@23 February 2004 - 12:01
    Okay
    Im almost convinced..
    but first some questions if i go over.

1.Do i have to do really complex web\network configurations to start it up?
    as in do i have to change NortonIS settings, k++, games etc or do i just run it?
    2.Some programs - like my web\track eraser\saveFlash etc do not have firefox listed in list of browsers what to do then?
    2.Should i then remove IE? (or is that not advisable)
    3.which plugins, and extensions should i download for a basic good working browser-or whats in the original setup is enough for now.
    4.Any other tips please
    Convince me I am ready
    No one should have to convince you to do anything. You have a mind of your own, find out for yourself.

You can see all the extentions available here

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    shn
    Yes i agree
    but do you have any answers to my questions?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@23 February 2004 - 19:01
    Okay
    Im almost convinced..
    but first some questions if i go over.

1.Do i have to do really complex web\network configurations to start it up?
    as in do i have to change NortonIS settings, k++, games etc or do i just run it?
    2.Some programs - like my web\track eraser\saveFlash etc do not have firefox listed in list of browsers what to do then?
    2.Should i then remove IE? (or is that not advisable)
    3.which plugins, and extensions should i download for a basic good working browser-or whats in the original setup is enough for now.
    4.Any other tips please
    Convince me I am ready
    Shn's right - The best way to be convinced is to try it yourself and make your own opinion & decision

To answer the questions though...
    1) Download the installer, run the installer, run the browser - That's effectively it. For many cases, Firefox takes a few basic settings from IE (e.g. bookmarks/favourites) but in others AVs, firewalls etc will treat Firefox and IE with no real difference The only setting I've ever had to do is let ZoneAlarm know that Firefox is allowed to access the internet

Things like K++ use their own applets which use the IE engine, so they won't be affected.
    2) If you can add browsers to those programs' lists, then add them. If that ain't possible, see if you can list executables (i.e. to add the FireFox executable instead). If not, then there's a few extensions which can do the same roles (I think - I'm only guessing at that list of programs )
    2) (I believe is 3 ) Unless you use software which can radically hack Windows (e.g. XPlite), then you won't be able to. Like I've said before though, IE is an integrated part of Windows so I wouldn't recommend removing it. Linux users don't have that worry though
    3) The stuff in the main installer is good enough for browsing the web. If there's any others you want to get, you can get them from the Firefox site under "Extensions" - These include plug-ins to simulate Opera's mouse gestures (my personal fav extension BTW )
    5) The world is your oyster - Anything else you need is usually on the Firefox site.

Hope that helps - Now go and try Firefox

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@23 February 2004 - 12:11
    shn
    Yes i agree
    but do you have any answers to my questions?
    I gave you the site where to find extentions

4.Any other tips please
    You ask for any other tips and mine was to figure things out for yourself.

It's just a browser dude. No one is asking you to convert your religion or anything

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Illuminati thankyou that was truelly enlightening
    There is a IEradicator which removed ie in w98...but i wont start on that until i got this firefox worked out-looks simple enough.
    firefox looks good.

Shn thanks for your shnicism

Cheers

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    The only downset to firefox in my opinon is it's not compatable w/ some sites
    ie chinkii.com/uploads doesn't work, the site will load but once option is picked, you can go no further, once these sites get fixed though I will have no complaints about firefox, I am using it now and lovin it
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I'm going to use it soon!
    Has anyone else got site names that don't work?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@23 February 2004 - 18:02
    I'm going to use it soon!
    Has anyone else got site names that don't work?
    I just noticed that also in ircspy the text doesn't get copied to clipboard when you click a file like it does in IE
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Yeah I suppose thers bound to be a few niggles

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Am running it now

Thanx

iits got some great possibilities

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast