Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13 Reasons To Use Firefox

13 Reasons To Use Firefox Over IE

For me, the biggest factor that inspired me to start using a browser other than Internet Explorer was the constant bugs and security fixes that were plaguing the latter, not to mention the tons of plug-ins that took over your browser. Changing your homepage to some paid advertiser, or adding a toolbar that does the worst job possible when searching.

The majority of these spyware and vulnerabilities are commonly programmed for Internet Explorer being that IE holds over 70% of the internet browser market. There are other browsers out there that can compete with IE, but Mozilla Firefox (formally known as Firebird) is a complete browser filled with tons of features that’s only light in size. From a built in pop-up blocker that works better than many commercial pop-up blockers, to tabbed browsing, these are just two of the factors that contribute to making Firefox an internet browser’s dream.

Popup Blocking
    In this day in age, an internet browser without a popup blocker is like having a broadband connection without a fireball. “Firefox stops annoying popup windows dead in their tracks”, according to Mozilla.org, and that’s exactly what it does. Visiting a popup blocker test page, Firefox’s built in popup blocker was able to close all popup windows while the page loaded and during the page's onload() event. At http://www.popup-blocker.info’s test page, several test can be ran to prove your popup blocker’s power. Mozilla Firefox’s built in popup blocker was able to handle the “Stress Test”, which according to pop-upblocker.info… “[Stress tests] attempts to overcome your pop-up killer by trying to spawn large numbers of windows as quickly as possible.” Firefox’s popup blocker was able to close all 200 popup windows without even breaking a sweat. Trying this with IE and no popup blocker would probably bring your pc to its knee’s. You can also easily access the list of websites that the popup blocker blocks and altering it’s state by a simple click.

Download Manager
    A feature which I thought was going to be integrated in Internet Explorer 6 was a download manager. Download managers allow you to manipulate and take control of your downloaded files. Mozilla Firefox’s download manager contains just the essentials to allow you to control your downloads. You can pause your download and continue it a later time, something which is not possible with IE’s download manager. Apart from sporting a nice look, the download manager stores the information such as size and location of your downloaded file. When the download is complete, a small notification is displayed in the lower right side of the screen.

Tab Browsing
    Because having too many windows open at a time can be a bit annoying, not to mention time consuming, Firefox features tab browsing. Here’s more on tab browsing from Mozilla’s homepage…”Tab-Browsing changes the way you use the internet by allowing you to open links on a page in background "Tabs" and then read them when you're ready. No confusing new windows, no need for context menus, just hold down Ctrl when clicking a link, or use your middle mouse button (if you have one).”

Integrated Search Engine
    Now why didn’t the IE programmers think of this? Mozilla Firefox comes with a built in search engine. The default search engine is Google’s, of course, with the ability to add others. The search entry takes up a very small space, which is a plus when compared to those huge toolbars out there.

Options
    Less confusing and cluttered than IE’s Internet Options is another factor in Mozilla’s Firefox. You can easily navigate through each setting. Deleting saved passwords is a snap and clearing any saved history. The “Downloads” section of the options allows the user to choose which program will automatically open a downloaded file.

Page Info
    When right clicking on a page (PC users), selecting “page info” will pull up a window displaying vast amount of information for the webpage. General information as well as a Link tab showing all the links that the page contains.

Faster Response
    A typical webpage will load faster on Mozilla Firefox than Internet Explorer.

Keeps HTML Formatting
    Mozilla Firefox is able to keep the html format when copying from a webpage to a text file. For example, when copying html formatted text from a webpage and pasting it on a note pad, the text copied using Mozilla Firefox keeps the format yet the text copied from IE doesn’t.

Security
    Because many of those malicious plug-in’s that cause your everyday web surfing into a trip to the DMV are mostly programmed for Internet Explorer, having Mozilla Firefox as your internet browser can save you tons of headaches.

Open Source Advantage
    The Mozilla project is an Open Source project where thousands of independent programmers can work on finding security holes before they are exploited.

Cleaner Interface
    Firefox isn’t filled with clutter such as a history button or other buttons that take up most of the area in Internet Explorer. Firefox offers 2% more space to web pages than Mozilla, 4% more than Internet Explorer, and a whopping 10% more than Opera.

Smaller Download
    Ignoring the fact that Internet Explorer comes integrated with Windows, Firefox is almost half the size of Internet Explorer meaning half the time downloading.

Block Images
    When right clicking on an image, the user is given the option to block all images from that webpage. This feature comes in handing when visiting a site that holds many pictures, many due to ads, which can be disabled for faster surfing.

Mozilla Firefox is an alternate browser to IE with features that, I believe, surpass the latter. Firefox has defiantly broken ground in the war of the browsers. I know there are many out there who would think otherwise and never settle for any browser other than IE. Think of it this way, if Mozilla Firefox was integrated by default into Windows besides IE, would you switch to another browser?

SOURCE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Almost anything is better then ie. Hell my text based lynx browser works better than ie and it runs from the command line

No seriously though. What would you say is better at the moment. The myie2 or Firefox? Everytime I try to try out myie2 and give it a chance, it screws up. So I guess it doesnt deserve one

Btw, opera is pretty good but i can never count on opera for day to day use because it crashes from time to time. Im not saying firebird has never crashed on me, Im just saying I cant remember the last time it did.

Cheers to the Mozilla Foundation

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Opera - good but is like an elephant, is too big.

MyIE2 - too complicated

This is my opinion, i know maybe someone of Opera or MyIE2 users don't agree but give FireFox a try and you never go back .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Originally posted by sharedholder@12 February 2004 - 23:39
    Opera - good but is like an elephant, is too big.

MyIE2 - too complicated

This is my opinion, i know maybe someone of Opera or MyIE2 users don't agree but give FireFox a try and you never go back .
    Opera - Is bulcky, pack with to many unnessasary thing. (ie. Web Mail)

MyIE - is more vulnerable.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I love the features of MyIE2. Plug-ins for everything. I like the mouse-gestures and shortcut keys, and very configurable.
    The thing is... Firefox is simply faster.
    I like the way downloads work with the download manager. Basic operating with it is simply smoother.
    I use both. I just switch here and there. But lately I find myself using firefox more.

Oh, I had made an installer for it when it was still 0.7 (and I recently made one for 0.8) cuz it made it easier to fit on the CDs I make, and I had contacted the makers of firefox on whether or not they wanted to see it, and all they wanted to know was how I got it to compress so low.

It's compressed pretty low and the install is a bit cleaner with customized pics and setup icon, of course . I would distrubute it, but I don't have a site to host it on.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    FireFox owns all&#33; B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    how do u disable the opening links with mouse button 3(the 1 u use to drag pages) i often click it above a link n instead of dragging the page, the link opens in a new window
    wat do i do?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    About 5 mins ago I switched to Firefox from a thread on another forum, and I have to say im impressed. Pages load faster, the interface was quick and simple to set up, and is very clean. Considering im on broadband I didnt think pages could load any faster, but seems I&#39;ve been proved wrong

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Okay
    Im almost convinced..
    but first some questions if i go over.

1.Do i have to do really complex web&#092;network configurations to start it up?
    as in do i have to change NortonIS settings, k++, games etc or do i just run it?
    2.Some programs - like my web&#092;track eraser&#092;saveFlash etc do not have firefox listed in list of browsers what to do then?
    2.Should i then remove IE? (or is that not advisable)
    3.which plugins, and extensions should i download for a basic good working browser-or whats in the original setup is enough for now.
    4.Any other tips please
    Convince me I am ready

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by RGX@23 February 2004 - 17:51
    About 5 mins ago I switched to Firefox from a thread on another forum, and I have to say im impressed. Pages load faster, the interface was quick and simple to set up, and&nbsp; is very clean. Considering im on broadband I didnt think pages could load any faster, but seems I&#39;ve been proved wrong
    Yep - It&#39;s shocking & surprising Even if people have their doubts of Firefox over IE, I urge them to just have a try at it for five minutes to get that great-surprise feeling Course, there&#39;s only been one IE user out of about 50 I&#39;ve introduced to Firefox (then FireBird) who&#39;s gone back to IE

Oh, I had made an installer for it when it was still 0.7 (and I recently made one for 0.8) cuz it made it easier to fit on the CDs I make, and I had contacted the makers of firefox on whether or not they wanted to see it, and all they wanted to know was how I got it to compress so low.
    Size is always a factor for downloads, and the smaller anyone can make a download the better. Maybe it&#39;s me being a Firefox fan, but I wouldn&#39;t mind the Mozilla Foundation asking me how to do sommat

Anyway - If all you need is the installer to be hosted, PM me in private and we&#39;ll sort out somewhere to put it

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast