Thread: Networking

ok here goes ive jus got new desktop also got laptop ive got them both set up through wireless lan desktop has netgear wireless usb adapter n laptop has netgear wireless card i then have wireless access point downstairs. both r configured and r acessing internet ok. so ive followed advise from prev post n run network set up wizard on both comps n used same username for both i have then shared drive n files(right click share etc..) ok so wot happens now.... nothing seems to have happened when i click view workgroup comps on desktop just the desktop comes up and when i try to view workgroup comps on laptop i get an error saying
    'mshome is not accesible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact administrator to see if you have access permission.
    the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.'
    please :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:
    im stuck!!
    thanx in advance

ok just found out from my broadband supplier that i cant act do this wid wot i got from them so thanx any way any1.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1st of dall spel stuft corectlee

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ok just found out from my broadband supplier that i cant act do this wid wot i got from them so thanx any way any1.
    That shouldnt be the problem.

You should still be able to see all the PC's on the network. Make sure all the computers (including the laptop) are on the exact same worgroup.

What OS are you using btw ??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    make sure they both are on workgroup mshome or both are some other name that you pick and i think that the users have to be adminstrator privelidged.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@14 February 2004 - 03:54
    make sure they both are on workgroup mshome or both are some other name that you pick and i think that the users have to be adminstrator privelidged.
    Nah, I have the only administrator accounts on our computers and the whole family can access all shares from all computers.

Although I have no experience of wireless networking, the only reasons for the machines' lack of communication are (in order of likelihood)...
    - different workgroup names
    - identical computer names
    - firewalls unaware of the home network, in which case allow unrestricted access to/from machines with ips in the range 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255, that should do it. Make sure you have adequate antivirus measures deployed on both machines.
    - wireless access point mis-configured
    - faulty wireless card in the laptop
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?