Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Political Campaigns

Originally posted by Biggles@13 February 2004 - 21:44
    Hobbes
    I can't remember Gary Hart (he must really have stalled early).
    In early 1987, Hart was the clear frontrunner for the Democratic nomination in the 1988 presidential election. It seemed that only Democratic party efforts to recruit New York Governor Mario Cuomo would thwart his nomination. Hart had put in a strong showing in the 1984 presidential election, and had refined his campaign in the intervening years.

However, questions about extramarital affairs dogged the charismatic candidate. An exasperated Hart challenged the press to tail him. The Miami Herald did exactly that, to uncover damaging evidence of an affair with 29-year-old model Donna Rice, getting a photograph of Rice sitting on Hart's lap. On May 8, 1987, a week after the Donna Rice story broke, Hart dropped out of the race.

I think Bill and JFK both kept their trouser snake antics in the realm of speculation, while denying it publically. Gary was caught with a photo. You just can't rub it in the face of the moral majority. You just need to lie to them and look offended when the accusations surface. Look longingly at your wife, tell America how much you love that woman.

Even Bill pretended to be Religious, it is a requisite for the job.

Bill Clinton also exhibited unusually solemn attitudes toward his religion during his early years. In his household of his mother, stepfather, and stepbrother, Bill was the only one who attended church. Bill Clinton often walked to church alone, often during his spare time. The church minister remembers that Bill Clinton was often waiting at the church before the minister arrived to open up the church, and Bill Clinton was only thirteen years old
    Story brings a tear to my eye.

Anyway, the tactic of exposing marital infidelity to the moral majority is a tried and true one. The key is not to get photographed and caught with the broad in your lap, leave the accusations stranded in the nebulous world of speculation.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@13 February 2004 - 17:12
    Despite all the clamour about the fidelity of politicians, and subsequently how Clinton was so much a dog, it's amusing to note that "America's most beloved President," JFK, was quite the womanizer. Maybe being assassinated put him on more of a rosy plane?

I disagree with the JFK statement, MN.

Nix on "most beloved".

"Womanizer"? Definitely.

Ditto as to the "rosy plane".

This opens up a whole can of worms and Pandora's box, to boot.

Why does the last sentence sound risque in context of this thread?

How many sexual innuendos can dance on the head of a pin? B)

I'll try to remember to check this tomorrow; it is late, and I have to get up (there I go again&#33 early.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #23
    The Kennedy family, with the King being JFK, is sort of akin to an American royal family, likely due to it's history of tradgedy and, of course, scandal.

The most beloved? Abraham Lincoln.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #24
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Not my quote, it was from a President's Day poll (last year? I think it was). Lincoln was second.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    J2K4

Who would you suggest as the most belovéd President ? As an outsider I see Jack Kennedy as not only the most likely candidate, but as the only one.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Agrajag@14 February 2004 - 07:38
    J2K4

Who would you suggest as the most belovéd President ? As an outsider I see Jack Kennedy as not only the most likely candidate, but as the only one.
    "Most beloved" presidents are generally media creations, which JFK was, to a large extent.

BTW-you may come in now; wipe your feet and have a seat-the waitress will be with you shortly.

As to the subject at hand, I would be sorely tempted to write you a book, but time precludes me.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Originally posted by j2k4@14 February 2004 - 21:48

"Most beloved" presidents are generally media creations, which JFK was, to a large extent.

Which would be an explanation of why he was belovéd, as opposed to reasons why he was not. Or indeed answering the question about who you thought was the most belovéd.

For me it is fairly simple. He was wealthy, intelligent, well educated, well travelled, witty, urbane, a genuine war hero and seen to be approachable by most people. He was pecieved as the epitome of the "American Dream".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123