Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Codec Pack And Players And Games

ok before i switch to linux i need to know were to get and how to install all the codecs and players so i can watch movies and i need to be able to play bf1942 mod Desert Combat

all help is good
    I am Member No. : 193 <--- yes there was a time when that was a lot

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    h1
    Not possible. You might be able to play BF1942 in WiNE or you could emulate Windows in VMWare. Look at shn's pinned guide.

If you want alternative software, look for a post by a guy named LSA and click on his sig.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    domt know about the codecs but you can get a program called wine that allows you to emulate windows prograns but it is a bit hit or miss as to whether the games you want will be playable

PS you can dual boot windows and linux which allows you to select which os you want on boot
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by haxor41789@14 February 2004 - 15:07
    Not possible. You might be able to play BF1942 in WiNE or you could emulate Windows in VMWare. Look at shn's pinned guide.

If you want alternative software, look for a post by a guy named LSA and click on his sig.
    Yeah click my sig!

domt know about the codecs but you can get a program called wine that allows you to emulate windows prograns but it is a bit hit or miss as to whether the games you want will be playable

PS you can dual boot windows and linux which allows you to select which os you want on boot
    Yes you can dual boot.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/linux/s...3397093,00.html
    http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html
    google seach

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ok i know that there is a way to get all of my movies to play in linux cause i got this one distro if knoppix that can play all my movies however i cant use that all the time as that distro is in a diff language and cant get wine to work right with it

as for 1942 there is a app for linux called wineX it enables you to play alot of games that are popular

what i need to know is what linux media players do i need to play divx, xvid, mpg, mpeg, avi, mov, ram, and wmv. that last one i dont really need so much since its a windows standard

as for wineX i need to know how to set it up so that i can play 1942 with it. I know it supports 1942 cause it says they updated it to be more compatible with the game on their site.

dual booting i am trying to stay away from as its sometimes very difficult to dual boot from one hdd every time that i have tired it fails miserably and i loose lots of data.

more help plz linux gurus

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    this may help you

http://linux.tucows.com/toppicks.html

14. Xine - Xine is a video player that uses the Windows video codecs instead of trying to reverse...
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ok that solves the issue of video stuff how about that configuring of the wineX software

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Install the game using winex like this

Code:
    winex3 /pathtogame/lalal/install.exe
    then if it installs correctly try to run the game the same way but just replace the install.exe with game executable

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    thx for help will prolly be converting within the next 48 hours cause i got tomorrow off

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    gahhhh

ok forgot that i have my 120 into 2 drives c and d

c is 10 gigs and d is 100

all my files are on d

do i just del c and make new one for linux and it will still read my d as d in linux and i still got all my files??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast