Thread: This Guy Sued Microsoft

bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Mike may be Rowe, but 'soft' is trouble

By The Associated Press

VANCOUVER, B.C. — Mike Rowe knew he needed a catchy name for his Web-site design company.

"Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add 'soft' to the end of it," said Rowe, a 17-year-old computer geek and 12th-grade student in Victoria, B.C.

As in, but not quite, Microsoft.

But the folks at the world's biggest software company are not amused. They've demanded that he give up his domain name.

Rowe registered the name in August. In November, he received a letter from Microsoft's Canadian lawyers, Smart & Biggar, informing him he was committing copyright infringement.

He was advised to transfer the name to the Redmond-based corporation.

"I didn't think they would get all their high-priced lawyers to come after me," Rowe said.

He wrote back asking to be compensated for giving up his name. Microsoft's lawyers offered him $10 in U.S. funds. Then he asked for $1,000.

On Thursday, he received a 25-page letter accusing him of trying to force Microsoft into giving him a large settlement.

"I never even thought of getting anything out of them," he said, adding that he asked for the $1,000 only because he was "sort of mad at them for only offering 10 bucks."

He said family and friends are backing him, and a lawyer has offered to advise him for free.

He's also keeping his sense of humor.

"It's not their name. It's my name. I just think it's kind of funny that they'd go after a 17-year-old," Rowe said.

Company spokesman Jim Desler said yesterday, "Microsoft has been in communication with Mr. Rowe in a good-faith effort to reach a mutually agreeable resolution. And we remain hopeful we can resolve this issue to everyone's satisfaction."

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I swear this was posted ages ago. In fact I know it was because I remember telling some online buddies about it. I may have even posted in said post.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by Samurai@15 February 2004 - 21:32
    I swear this was posted ages ago. In fact I know it was because I remember telling some online buddies about it. I may have even posted in said post.
    now to think of it i remember that

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Yep... Found the link to the other posts.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    newcster68's Avatar Taxicab Co. Owner
    Originally posted by Samurai@15 February 2004 - 19:37
    Yep... Found the link to the other posts.
    Will u all Stop picking on people for what they have posted? Leave ppl alone about what they post and how they post things. So the guy/girl made a mistake and didn't see the earlier one. No harm done and maybe someone else didnt see yours before....

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Shut Up

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by newcster68@15 February 2004 - 18:57

Will u all Stop picking on people for what they have posted? Leave ppl alone about what they post and how they post things. So the guy/girl made a mistake and didn't see the earlier one. No harm done and maybe someone else didnt see yours before....
    He was just saying that its been posted, not flaming indicating not to post. Stop following people and telling them what to do and what not.

@bujub22, can you believe that guy is selling the original documents sent by Microsoft on ebay at an outrageous price!
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by I.am@16 February 2004 - 04:52

@bujub22, can you believe that guy is selling the original documents sent by Microsoft on ebay at an outrageous price&#33;
    HAHAHHAHAHA

I even heard that they offered a X-Box and ten bucks

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by Cygnuz&#045;Y+16 February 2004 - 05:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cygnuz-Y @ 16 February 2004 - 05:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-I.am@16 February 2004 - 04:52

@bujub22, can you believe that guy is selling the original documents sent by Microsoft on ebay at an outrageous price&#33;&nbsp;
    HAHAHHAHAHA

I even heard that they offered a X-Box and ten bucks [/b][/quote]

ill take the x-box and the guy can have the &#036;10.

Klite Clan : <span style='color:purple'> [ThE_Def-EndERS]</span>
    [Clan Site]