Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Gone Wierd

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I have a 30 gig hard drive which had 14 gig free, when a bubble poped up telling me i was low on space. I checked and was amazed that suddenly my drive was showing 38 gig capacity with 168 meg free.Even after i deleted some old files freeing up 8 gig it was still showing a 38 gig capacity (i rebooted and defragmented to see if i could solve it) the OS is XP home edition using NTFS.
    No errors on the disk surface and i can't find any duplicated files
    i have checked for virus and trojan and wasn't online when the problem occured.

I wouldn't mind but i haven't gained a larger drive, rather lost space :helpsmile:

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    clear
    Last edited by SciManAl; 03-15-2006 at 11:11 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Check the drive for errors and see what pops up.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    as stated wasn't downloading and already checked for errors

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    You could try using sequoiaview, it will show you what is taking up all the space on your hd.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by callum@15 February 2004 - 11:01
    You could try using sequoiaview, it will show you what is taking up all the space on your hd.
    i use ace utilities which lists the top 100 largest files/progs which looks to be about the same thing that the prog you suggested does.
    I am not taking any more space up than i did before i had the problem, if it had been a case of windows doing a mysterious back up i would have found it....what troubles me the most is the sudden 8 gig capacity albeit virtual rather than physical

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by vidcc+15 February 2004 - 18:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 15 February 2004 - 18:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-callum@15 February 2004 - 11:01
    i use ace utilities which lists the top 100 largest files/progs which looks to be about the same thing that the prog you suggested does.
    I am not taking any more space up than i did before i had the problem, if it had been a case of windows doing a mysterious back up i would have found it....what troubles me the most is the sudden 8 gig capacity albeit virtual rather than physical [/b][/quote]
    That program sounds alot differant. Sequioaview will show you exactly what is taking up the space on your hardrive, it even shows your pagefile and anything else that is on your comp which you can&#39;t normally see. It is also very easy to use.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ok i shall give it a spin and report back

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    it seems like windows suddenly unallocated half of your hard drive

partition magic (or any other partitioning utility) could be useful here

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    update.... some of the files are showing as much larger than they are, e.g. instead of 1.15mb they are showing as 115 mb...this will explain the sudden loss of avaiable space but not the sudden 8 gig extra hard drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast