Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player suddenly stopped playing everything, no music, no videos, etc. I get the error, "An internal application error has occured" whenever I attempt to play anything. I know that I can use my DIVX and other applications but I don't want to. WMP is my prefered device. Microsoft support was a joke. Anyone know of a solution to fix the player?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    you have version 9? what you can do is reinstall it
    download it from microsoft.com and install it over your current media player

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    not sure which version i have but i've got the WMP cd that came with xp home. I'll try that over the current one?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    The last version of WMP that was packaged initially with XP, that I am aware of for non-SP1 incorporated versions, was 8.0 or 8.1. I am uncertain of which version was packaged in with the retail versions of XP that contains the SP1 update.

However if you have never updated the player before, you can merely use "Windows Update" and obtain version 9.x without fuss from there. It is not a "critical update" so you will have to select to download/install it manually.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I went through Microsoft and downloaded WMP9 but the problem still exists. Any more suggestions?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    get bsplayer for video (uses less resources)
    get winamp 2 for music (try kazaa (or better yet, emule), go for 2.8+)

dont get WMP 9.......... by agreing to the EULA you give MS the right 2 delete pirated music...............
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Have you, by any chance, downloaded and installed another media player capable of playing back the media file types that WMP is capable of?

Have you chaecked your "file associations"?

I ask because it is a common occurance for media players to switch-over file associations for all the media files in your PC when it installs. Usually there is an option to disable this during the install to preserve your preference for the default media player application to open your files.

Just for giggles and yucks, I suggest this little test. Can't hurt to try...

Open WMP. Click: tools>options>file types tab.

Are all the boxes checked? If "no", then click "select all". Click "apply" then "ok". Close WMP and attempt to play any media file. If it plays then problem solved. If not then back to the drawing board.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Izagaia@17 February 2004 - 16:27
    Have you, by any chance, downloaded and installed another media player capable of playing back the media file types that WMP is capable of?

Have you chaecked your "file associations"?

I ask because it is a common occurance for media players to switch-over file associations for all the media files in your PC when it installs. Usually there is an option to disable this during the install to preserve your preference for the default media player application to open your files.

Just for giggles and yucks, I suggest this little test. Can't hurt to try...

Open WMP. Click: tools>options>file types tab.

Are all the boxes checked? If "no", then click "select all". Click "apply" then "ok". Close WMP and attempt to play any media file. If it plays then problem solved. If not then back to the drawing board.
    They SHOULD all be checked but I cant say for sure because like I said ealier, I cant even open WMP. This is so frustrating

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    try searching for viruses. then for spyware using a program like spysweeper.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Two suggestions, however minimal, they are still worth trying:

- Have you recently installed any software which may limit access or invoke restrictions (ie internet security, NIS 2004 pro) to certain programs that rely on internet access?

- If the problem is recent and nothing, to your knowledge, deleted from the system, then try XP's System Restore feature. Use a point from february 15th or earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast