Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal Information

Poster
    Hi, just wondering, ive asked this on various forums but still get different answers. If i upload my mixes to a website, with the likes of kevin lyttle, kelis etc in, will this be illegal?

Previous Answers...
    1) Some people thought as it contains music, it was illegal.
    2) Others thought that what the heck was you ment 2 do? Just keep them to yourself?

Other Factors...
    1) Tones of others DJs do this
    2) Some of the music i use is from DJ Promos, "for dj promotional use only", but not all of it!

Thanks for your help and time.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    I'd say it's illegal, if someone releases a remix of an old song they have to pay the copyright owners loyalties though it might be different if you're not making any profits.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by stupidguy@17 February 2004 - 13:40
    I'd say it's illegal, if someone releases a remix of an old song they have to pay the copyright owners loyalties though it might be different if you're not making any profits.
    Nope, not making any money from the mixes at all.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If its copyrighted, its illegal, unless you have the permission of the copyright holder(s).

Unless the site is hosted in a country that does not recognise copyright laws....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@17 February 2004 - 21:27
    If its copyrighted, its illegal, unless you have the permission of the copyright holder(s).
    That is correct. The copyright holder's permission must be obtained otherwise you are in breach and can be sued. As Rat Faced goes on to say it depends on the country, however this is rather a confusing area. It could be argued that, if the site is available in the USA then you are breaching copyright law in that country, no matter where you host the files. As such you could be sued for providing them. That is certainly the position I would take.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Well since im in the UK, and my host is in the US, ive added the following to the top of the media pages

DISCLAIMER:
    ALL COPYRIGHT IN TRACKS WITHIN THIS SITE BELONG TO THE ARTISTS CONCERNED. IF SAID ARTISTS DO NOT WISH FOR THESE TRACKS TO BE LISTED HERE, THEY WILL BE REMOVED. IF WHEN VISITING THIS SITE YOU DOWNLOAD THE FILES (WMA) YOU MUST DELETE THEM FROM YOUR HARDRIVE WITHIN 48 HOURS. ALL TRACKS HAVE BEEN CREATED FOR FUN AND NOT PROFIT.

DJ Weiser

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Will you come round my house to check to see if I've deleted them after 48 hours then?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I used to frequent a site that had mixes of certain dj's from a whole bunch of white lables. this still did not stop the bpi (at the time) having his host remove all his files.

even after he explained to the bpi all the files he had where given to him for promotional use they still said tuff. seems to me like they really dont have the power to make this decision but they did.
    so he picked a host abroad and there was nothing the bpi could do. they asked for the files to be removed again and this time the host wrote a nasty email to them telling them to suck his cock.

has anybody heard of the grey album it is a mix of the beatle white album and the lyrics from jay-z's the black album. emi have been trying there best to sto people trading and selling these files. there has been a big stink about this since the artist claims they are stifling creativity.

source

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by 4play@18 February 2004 - 16:13
    I used to frequent a site that had mixes of certain dj's from a whole bunch of white lables. this still did not stop the bpi (at the time) having his host remove all his files.

even after he explained to the bpi all the files he had where given to him for promotional use they still said tuff. seems to me like they really dont have the power to make this decision but they did.
    so he picked a host abroad and there was nothing the bpi could do. they asked for the files to be removed again and this time the host wrote a nasty email to them telling them to suck his cock.

has anybody heard of the grey album it is a mix of the beatle white album and the lyrics from jay-z's the black album. emi have been trying there best to sto people trading and selling these files. there has been a big stink about this since the artist claims they are stifling creativity.

source
    Good point, but ive run djfac for 4 months now using a dot tk, and had no problems. Plus if they ask for the media to be removed i will remove it, also i make no money from it. Any ideas of a site to contact about this? Maybe i could try and clean it with the record labels?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Originally posted by djweiser@18 February 2004 - 15:42
    Well since im in the UK, and my host is in the US, ive added the following to the top of the media pages

DISCLAIMER:
    ALL COPYRIGHT IN TRACKS WITHIN THIS SITE BELONG TO THE ARTISTS CONCERNED. IF SAID ARTISTS DO NOT WISH FOR THESE TRACKS TO BE LISTED HERE, THEY WILL BE REMOVED. IF WHEN VISITING THIS SITE YOU DOWNLOAD THE FILES (WMA) YOU MUST DELETE THEM FROM YOUR HARDRIVE WITHIN 48 HOURS. ALL TRACKS HAVE BEEN CREATED FOR FUN AND NOT PROFIT.

DJ Weiser
    Sorry to tell you, that is just a wate of typing, it makes no difference at all. Neither do things like cops not welcome, confirm you are over 18 or anything else you see on these sites. It does not take away any of your legal responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast