Thread: Boost Network Adapter

skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Hello all, just thought I would post a tip that worked for me and about 20% of the network adapters that I applied it to.

I applied this to my network adapter figuring it might help when it is under strain from having a large download going, still wanting to surf the net in several different windows, you know....just plain overworking my net connection...lol

If you have a few megs of ram to spare, try assigning it to the adapter.

*goto device manager-- open network adapters- select the network adapter that is used for your internet connection--properties--resource tab and notice the IRQ number.

now hit start--run--sysedit--select the C:\windows\system.ini window

under 386enh type Irq[ your irq# here ]= "amount of memory here" without the quotes!
    example.........

[386enh]
    woafont=dosapp.FON
    EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
    EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
    CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
    CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON
    Irq[05]=8192

I would suggest starting out with a number of 4096. Now save the changes, close and reboot.
    Like I said, I didn't notice a difference until I was making several request of my adapter and enjoyed the difference. Then went back and kept adjusting the ram value, rebooting and trying it again until I found the number that was right for me. If you don't notice any difference, you can go back and just remove the entry, save the changes and reboot. Then everything will be back to the way it was before.
    Just be sure you have the ram to spare.

Just an old tech tip,
    Steve

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Can this be done to a 56k modem?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Supernatural@8 March 2003 - 09:23
    Can this be done to a 56k modem?
    Yeah, there is no irq number or resources tab?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I got 384mb ram.. should I assign like 100mb to the network adapter for my dsl? wonder if it would shoot up another 20kb/s or so... my max now I get is like 200-300kb/s

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Irq[05]=8192
    Say if I want to assign 100MB...what should I put?? 100, 10 000 or 100 000???

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    all you do is times it by 1024 so for example:

4x

100x

so if you wanted to do it with 100meg then ou would put 102400 in there, but that sound like a lot to me.

I done it with my graphics card last night, i added 4096 in that line with steve`s help, must admit havnt realy notided a huge improvement but then again i havnt realy tried any games that were slow yet, but it also hasnt done any harm either so i suppose only time will tell. Btw done it with my graphics card as its only got 8meg of ram.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Win2k and XP don't really use the windows.ini file much anymore(if at all), so that may not even work for people using those OS's

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    yusuke, im on windows 2000, sony vaio laptop, 650mhz pent 3, 8 meg graphics card, 196meg of ram.

I got jedi knight2: jedi outcast, 2 weeks ago, must admit havnt played much of it, but on my system it was a little jerky, still playable but a little jerky. I then got freelancer and line of sight vietnam, both these games required directx 9 to play, so installed them with directx9 and they were just unplayable, LOS must have been less than 1fps.

Anyway tried this tip before i tried jedi knight 2 again, so im not sure if it was directx9 or this little tweak, but now jedi knight runs very smooth and even a little to fast . I might try deleteing the tweak and just playing jedi knight 2 with just directx9 tommorrow as i cant be bothered at the minute to try it.

Ill post back tommorrow if i see a serious downgrade in performance, but of what i read of the top post my graphics card should now be 12meg not 8meg as i put 4076 in the reg file, and if it is this tweak i might add anothe 4076 to it to make it a 16meg graphics card, as it is the c/card tha lets my system down badly, as the processor is good enough to play most games that are out there, apart from the fact you need 16,32,64ram g/cards.

stoi