Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's The Best Bittorrent Client?

Well, I'm using ABC, and I'm fairly happy with it. Although I wish there was a help manual... I was wondering if there was a way to set it so as soon as something is done downloading if it could delete the torrent and start downloading another torrent. Anyways, what do you guys like? Is there something better than ABC (it and the official client are the only ones I've tried) that would be worth switching to? I just started using BitTorent a few days ago, so I'd be looking for something not too complicated. What do you suggest?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster
    I don't use Bitt any more, but when I did, I liked Azureus
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Why'd you stop using BitTorrent?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by DWells55@19 February 2004 - 03:03
    Why'd you stop using BitTorrent?
    Insecurity mainly. Also a delay in new films/games/music becoming available in comparison to newsgroups.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Insecurity? What do you mean? and are those Newsgroups extremely hard to learn for the less tech-savvy people (::cough:: me ::cough::)?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by DWells55@19 February 2004 - 04:01
    Insecurity? What do you mean? and are those Newsgroups extremely hard to learn for the less tech-savvy people (::cough:: me ::cough:?
    Well, say you're downloading a file with Bitt. The chances are, that file will be copyrighted and you don't have the permission to be downloading/uploading it. That's illegal (in most countries). Now, on Bitt, it only takes one member of law enforcement (e.g. RIAA, MPAA) to be connected to the same torrent file as you to get hundreds, possibly thousands of IPs of people comitting illegal acts in mere seconds. Also, anyone who's 'up to no good' can get your IP equally quickly.

I prefer newsgroups, where the only people who actually know what you're downloading are your ISP (and your usenet service provider if you don't get a sufficient feed from your isp).

Newsgroups aren't that hard to learn, have a look at the link in my sig for more info...

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Yikes! Oh well, I'm using BT for Simpsons Episodes, those are legal, right? Besides, there's on TVAA, right? Right? [Runs around room frantically, praying not to be sued] Seriously though, I sorta get the newsgroup thing. But, you lost me right about here:

Can you dumb it down a bit for me? Just a month ago I learned there was more to filesharing than KaZaA Lite K++ and moved to WinMX for music. A week ago I leanred about BitTorrent. And just now, I learned about newsgroups. So I'd really appreciate it if you could help me learn about the better methods of file sharing, in this case, NewsGroups.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Unless you recorded the Simpsons episodes yourself they're gonna be illegal (though don't let that stop you )

Have a look here for some more info on newsgroups. If that's not enough, I'll try and answer any questions you might have about newsgroups.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    You do know that most nntp servers are run by the ISP's themselves 4th gen?

I'm afraid that BT and Newsgroups are hard to compare. First of all Newsgroups aren't true p2p.
    Newsgroup posts have an even shorter lifesapn than torrents and for example TV eps are released faster/sooner on Bittorrent.

However movies and games are indeed released very fast on newsgroups and since the servers are mostly in your ISP own network, you'll have good speeds too.

I still use a combination of BT, IRC, Newsgroups and DC.
    Can't remember a movie's name? Ask help at MovieWorld's Lost & Found

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by 4th gen@19 February 2004 - 05:43
    Unless you recorded the Simpsons episodes yourself they're gonna be illegal (though don't let that stop you )

Have a look here for some more info on newsgroups. If that's not enough, I'll try and answer any questions you might have about newsgroups.
    1. Use the news server maintained by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
    how does that work?

it seems very complicated.
    Wiz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast