Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying To Install Winxppro On My Bro Comp Help?

i am trying to install xp pro on his comp but it comes up with the blue screen of death and says it has some harddrive error, and i need to check it for errors, but when i run scandisk it wont let me run it it says not enough memory. can any hlep me so i can install xp pro?

thanx

ronald1991

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Are you upgrading or doing a fresh install? You should really do a fresh install. It will save you lots of trouble afterwards.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i was upgrading, how can i do a fresh start

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Have a read http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

What are you upgrading from Win'98 ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    yes he is
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    Athlon XP 1800+
    1 GIG PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    WINDOWS XP PRO WITH SERVICE PACK 2
    200GIG HARDDRIVE
    16X DVD-ROM
    DVD-BURNER
    EXTERNAL FLOPPY
    LIGHT IN CASE
    GEFORCE FX 5200 256MB

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    if all u have is the upgrading ver of xp then i would do a format. put 98 on then immediately update to xp. if that doesn't work, maybe u don't have the minimum requirements...
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I agree with mr. nails (sure this problem as been on here bfore hmm),to be out of memory I'd check the spec' of the machine.
    This may help too :-
    About file systems (partitions) for '98 (fat 32) XP (ntfs).
    http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/print...10825_2239651_2

Also this is from another person who got this answer WHICH may happen when trying to upgrade.

XP - ntldr missing
    Q.
    i get this message upon booting a pc. i can boot the same pc if i have my xp pro disk in though.When i go to use the recovery console it askes for a password..as far as i know one was never given, so how do i access the recovery console to fix the ntldr prob?
    Or is there an easier way to fix the boot record? or how can i copy the duplicate boot records made when windows was installed? thanks.

A.
    I sympathise with you guys, co's i know how u feel with the missing file..I was having the same problem before visiting here, only to get nothing to save my pc from crashing, I'm here just to provide a one time solution to recovering from the missing file. Boot to the repair console with your XP cd on the drive.
    1. Copy X:\i386\NTLDR C: (X is your CD ROM drive)
    2. Copy X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

Why it can happen.

Short for NT Loader, a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Windows NT load.
    Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i would do a format on my hardrive first and then install fresh.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i help ronald1991 put xp pro on his harddrive and al, but now when he boots up it goes to start windows in safe, regualr, etc.., and then it restarts every time what should i do to help him?
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    Athlon XP 1800+
    1 GIG PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    WINDOWS XP PRO WITH SERVICE PACK 2
    200GIG HARDDRIVE
    16X DVD-ROM
    DVD-BURNER
    EXTERNAL FLOPPY
    LIGHT IN CASE
    GEFORCE FX 5200 256MB

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Tell us the specs of the system, It may not meet the minimum requirements. Also some order pc's require bios updates to use xp.
    Robert00000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast