Thread: Turning Off Your Computer...

I've recently read that turning on and off your computer is one of the most stressful things you can do to it... Does anyone know if putting your computer in standby "sleep" mode and "waking" it up puts the same stress on the computer?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    it probably has the same affect, since the hard drives powerdown and everything just about shuts down, just leave it on is what I say

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by firefox@19 February 2004 - 17:51
    just leave it on is what I say
    or leave it off...im sure that no harm will be done to it if you dont actually physically harm it, its not going to stop turning on one day because its been turned on too many times, even if it did by the time it stopped working it will be many many years old. I wouldnt worry about it and just keep using it as you normally do.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Its a well known fact that never using your pc will extend its life, so better just leave it untouched
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by Robert00000@19 February 2004 - 23:24
    Its a well known fact that never using your pc will extend its life, so better just leave it untouched
    ive got a computer still running with original pc-chips board after 6 years. with quite heavy use, and never left on, just on when needed or dowloading, the cpu's the only thing that failed on it has been 2 cd-roms and a few mouses.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Out of The Ordinary
    I never turn My computer off, but lately I've start turning My monitor off when I'm not at home.

BOT

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    my moniter shuts down after 30 minutes of pc being idle, but i only restart my pc when needed like updates and etc. the rest of the time its on

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    lol, leave it on, turn it off, reboot it, whatever. it's a machine. by the time ur done with it and it's done with u upgrade it!!!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by mr. nails@20 February 2004 - 03:31
    lol, leave it on, turn it off, reboot it, whatever. it's a machine. by the time ur done with it and it's done with u upgrade it!!!
    You have a point there. lol

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    if your comp gives you any shit, threaten to pour salt water in it and kick it across the room