Thread: Riaa Question

Just out of curiousity, can the RIAA detect if a user is d/l music if its in a zip or rar file?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    If you are downloading FROM them, sure.
    If you're downloading from someone else, they cannot LEGALLY detect what you're downloading.

However, once you start sharing what you downloaded (assuming you share ANYTHING), they can spot what you have. BUT even then all they know is your ip address and time they spotted you. They still have to contact your ISP and force the ISP to give them your name and location.

MANY ISPs have taken the free giveaway of private information to RIAA to court and had such wholesale privacy violations thrown out.

Because of the legal expenses caused by trying to sue someone, RIAA said it'd only go after 'major pirates' -- those sharing 100's if not 1,000's of MP3 music files of artists they own copyrights over. If you're only sharing 50 or fewer MP3s, even of popular artists, they won't come after you... YET.

But RIAA's (and MPAA's) long-term plans are to destroy ALL general-purpose file-sharing networks, make computers unable to 'illegally' copy ANY copyrighted music/movies/software/etc, and even make lots of pay-per-view things.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Switeck@23 February 2004 - 19:15
    If you are downloading FROM them, sure.
    If you're downloading from someone else, they cannot LEGALLY detect what you're downloading.

However, once you start sharing what you downloaded (assuming you share ANYTHING), they can spot what you have. BUT even then all they know is your ip address and time they spotted you. They still have to contact your ISP and force the ISP to give them your name and location.

MANY ISPs have taken the free giveaway of private information to RIAA to court and had such wholesale privacy violations thrown out.

Because of the legal expenses caused by trying to sue someone, RIAA said it'd only go after 'major pirates' -- those sharing 100's if not 1,000's of MP3 music files of artists they own copyrights over. If you're only sharing 50 or fewer MP3s, even of popular artists, they won't come after you... YET.

But RIAA's (and MPAA's) long-term plans are to destroy ALL general-purpose file-sharing networks, make computers unable to 'illegally' copy ANY copyrighted music/movies/software/etc, and even make lots of pay-per-view things.
    Seems like I'm not in the safe zone, I have more than 500 MP3's

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    hmm i got 7000 mp3s im safe nothing to worry about

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by NightStalker@23 February 2004 - 20:24
    Seems like I'm not in the safe zone, I have more than 500 MP3's
    You're probably safe if you've got the block listing of all your files turned on and blocking RIAA ip addresses.

Barring that, you may want to reduce the number of shared MP3s just to keep the number of upload requests down to something your connection can sustain. B)