Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Internet Networking

to be honest niether do i.

well if you look in picture 2 it means im gonna have to buy another 25m CAT5 cable OR could i just simply buy another cheap ebuyer router and have two onw downstairs with the NTL going into it then a 25m going upstiars to a router with two 5m cables going off to each of the two upstairs pcs? saves me buying expensive cable.

Image Resized
    [img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/peerzyboy-MyIdeafornetworking1.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

basicly all the distances are 5m apart from the one i labled 25m's. i have enough cable to do it if i buy another router but is it possible i mean will it block off internet of put me behind another firewall or proxy?

if you dont understand i'll re draw it better and much clearer.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    also this questions to Samuria...

you know the software that comes with the NTL packages the CorrectConnect. do i need to install that on all the cumputers or just one of them? im thinking all because now niether of them is going to be the main one or server pc.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Whatever you do, do not install that piece of s**t. It is the worst software in the world, and at this present time I'm trying to help another guy out on ntlhellworld.com on this very matter.

The exact post is here but you may need to register to actually view the posts. My name is the same on there (Samurai) and I'm on there as much as here.

Samurai

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    oooooooooooooooooooooo...

so does that mean that the boardband is 'plug n play' cause apart from correctconnect i dont think theres anything else on the disc. so basicly no i dont need the software on the pcs.

kwl.

also do you have any idea on my other question?

to be honest niether do i.

well if you look in picture 2 it means im gonna have to buy another 25m CAT5 cable OR could i just simply buy another cheap ebuyer router and have two onw downstairs with the NTL going into it then a 25m going upstiars to a router with two 5m cables going off to each of the two upstairs pcs? saves me buying expensive cable.

basicly all the distances are 5m apart from the one i labled 25m's. i have enough cable to do it if i buy another router but is it possible i mean will it block off internet of put me behind another firewall or proxy?

if you dont understand i'll re draw it better and much clearer.
    if u scroll up ab bit u can see the amazing picture i drew in paint to help illistrate it.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I'd recommend another cable. Another router may pose just too many problems regarding port forwarding etc...

Also, you're far less likely to get packet loss with a cable than going through another router.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    what you need is one of these. router

and 2 of these. big shiny red cables

and if u order of ebuyer before 9am monday you will get half price delivery.

it should be £43.47 and u will get it on thursday. and u can get rid of the switch form current setup, but keep it as its handy to expand mroe pcs.

also with the router if u have a usb printer, u can plug it into it and all pcs can print to it without a certain pc having to be on that its plugged into.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #17
    the only problem with adding more cable means i gotta pick up all my carpit again and hammor it up the stairs and it took 3 and a half hours last time. Is there no way i can just add another router or something else that will just act as a 'joiner'?

Peerzyboy

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #18
    ok, here is my way

I have 5 computers connected together, all sharing adsl internet

my connection is the same as your first pic,

it goes adsl modem/main comp/router/ and the 4 other comps

all the comps have win xp pro, and i just setup network connection wizard ( its in the network connections page ), so the main comp connects directly to the net, and all the others connect thru it

no need for third party software at all, and i can do everything, except send files thru msn messenger ( just havnt figured it out yet )

but they all work 100% of the time and no problems with proxy ect its a breeze

if you are using an older version of windows, i suggest you update to xp pro

then life will be sweet

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #19
    i have windows XP PRO.

does anyone know if another router will create problems as aposed to wiring up everything. theres a router on ebuyer for £9 i mite get that if someone can confirm that it will work or say they think it will work.

im a bit low on money rite now so that £45 set up is a no no

Peerzyboy

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #20
    sorry o bumb this so soon but ebuyers half price shipping ends soon and im going out 2nite so i need an answer in like 30 mins maximum. the person who answers will get many a thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast