Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent

Okay, here goes!
    I just added a second HD to my comp and it was working fine. So, now I have one 80gb connected via SATA and one 30gb connected via IDE, both set as masters (because they are on 2 different channels)
    Now! this was working perfectly fine, untill I shutdown my computer. Now when I start it up, I get one of two messages
    1. Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
    NTLDR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    OR
    2. Something about unable to find bootdisk, not sure bout that one.
    Okay, I get message 1 when I have both HDs connected
    I get message 2 SOMETIMES when only the SATA drive is connected
    and if I get message 2, then I nudged one wire coming from my PSU and it loaded fine, still with only the SATA HD connected though. As if there was a loose connection or something.
    My OS is installed on my SATA drive, so I think my PSU may have a loose connection somewhere, and that is why it sometimes cannot find Bootdisk, which is the HD I would boot to, but when wire is nudged or moved, it can find it and all is well, except my other HD cannot be connected at all for it to load
    I am completely at a loss about message 1 though!
    can anyone PLEASE help me out?? This is URGENT!

Kai
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    is the 30gb hard drive formatted? is it new or did u get it 2nd hand? is there something on it (a virus maybe something like that) that wod stop the pc from booting?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    nope it's formatted
    it's an old one i took out of an older computer of mine, but I formatted it and it USED to work in my new comp with the other HD as well, UNTILL i shutdown! I reformatted, put on all my tunes, browsed for a bit, shutdown, whamo, no boot
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    to be honest im not much help, but something i would cheak is that theres no compatablilt with the SATA connected drive and the IDE drive, i dont have a SATA drive but i know what they are.

Im not sure, should all hard drives be on one channel cause mine are, but there both IDE. like i sed b4 im a n00b at hard drives just seeing if u slipped up along the way somewhere

either a loose faulty connection somewhere.

the PSU hasnt got enought power maybe?

or a conflict

or something im to stupid to know about

have you checked the BIOS, it pickin up both drives perfectly?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    wow clocker you dont seese (i dunno how to spell it but thats how its said ) to amaze (damm my dumb ass spelling)(did i spell ass wrong aswell )

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Im not sure, should all hard drives be on one channel cause mine are, but there both IDE. like i sed b4 im a n00b at hard drives just seeing if u slipped up along the way somewhere
    nope they can be on different channels with no problem, they just both have to be masters on each channel, which mine are.

have you checked the BIOS, it pickin up both drives perfectly?
    yup, both are recognized

@clocker, so the only way is to reformat?! and which HD must I reformat? I really would prefer none

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I had the same problem when I tried to have my OS on my sata drive, the only way I could get into windows was if I left my XP cd in the drive while starting up, no matter what I did, I never did solve the problem.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by callum@20 February 2004 - 21:21
    I had the same problem when I tried to have my OS on my sata drive, the only way I could get into windows was if I left my XP cd in the drive while starting up, no matter what I did, I never did solve the problem.
    hmm not what i wanted to hear
    should i bother getting a new PSU? mine is quite new and came with my enermax 3051 case. but apparantly nobody thinks it is the psu anyway, so would it be a waste? and do i really HAVE to to reformat?! blah, i hate this

EDIT did a search on my comp for ntldr and found a file called ntldr in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, if it is there, why does it say it is missing!?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    go in to ur bios and chek ur boot sequence make sure the drive tht has windows is te first one on the list

My Blog
    I'm still here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast