Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable Or Adsl?

Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by ZLOsiris@21 February 2004 - 20:39
    if feel sorry for u uk guys and ur internet problems ... man i hit 300kb from bit with my hook up $44 us a month 3 mb connection
    The japanese feel sorry for everyone else, they get speeds of 100mb/s.

I think to break the BT dependancy of most internet users (they almost have a monopoly on ADSL) in the UK, we need to create a wireless community network, so we don't depend on their lines. Plus the cable is dominated by NTL.

wireless speeds go up to 54 mb/s , if i could get all my neigbours to install wireless devices i could have introduced them to ripping and sharing dvd's
    Robert00000

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    BANNED
    Originally posted by ZLOsiris@21 February 2004 - 16:39
    if feel sorry for u uk guys and ur internet problems ... man i hit 300kb from bit with my hook up $44 us a month 3 mb connection
    lol i feel sorry for you boss i hit close to 500KB and i pay 28$

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    i get 480 mb/s connection .

ok it's just between my 3 pc's using usb2 data transfer cable
    Robert00000

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    Originally posted by CoolMac@21 February 2004 - 04:30
    u have 2 phone lines?

if u do then it's up to u.

i could have adsl but it would f*ck up for the two phone lines and the bill
    I dont know where your comming from one of the benefits of Adsl is you can have your internet connection 24/7 and make and recieve calls at the same time, you do need a line filter on the phone which filters out the adsl signel

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+22 February 2004 - 02:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN &#064; 22 February 2004 - 02:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-ZLOsiris@21 February 2004 - 16:39
    if feel sorry for u uk guys and ur internet problems ... man i hit 300kb from bit with my hook up &#036;44 us a month 3 mb connection
    lol i feel sorry for you boss i hit close to 500KB and i pay 28&#036;[/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s interesting...what is the name of your service provider...

...and what exactly is the connection that you have...

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    With DSL you can be on the phone and use it at the same time FINE. You just have to put a small filter thing on there which was free for me. I would go with ADSL it is twice the speed.

Is there a difference between DSL and ADSL?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #17
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Ok, we used to just have DSL where I live but now we have Cable too.

The lady said that 256 connection with cable is equivilant to 512 with dsl...is that true? I dont believe so.

Also, I have my DSL going to 2 computers...could I use the same router to make it go to the other room with cable or what?

Can I watch tv through it or not? I dont think so...lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #18
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    ADSL is just a type of DSL (Assymetric). I&#39;m surprised at how many people don&#39;t know this and yet don&#39;t bother to read about it (you&#39;re not the first and probably not the last...).

Anyway, in my area (Tel Aviv, Israel), ADSL is better (for the same given speed) but is significantly more expensive. I&#39;d say if they&#39;re almost the same price in your area, go for ADSL for sure.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #19
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by CoolMac@21 February 2004 - 05:13
    do u live near me? &nbsp; (Uruguay,South Americqa)

stick with cable if not u can&#39;t be online 24/7 and u occupy the phone line

i smell something............

yup............ its bullshit&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

seriously:

if you get (A)DSL you run your phone line into a box (splitter). this splits the signal into 2 parts:
    1-voice line
    2-rest

now the rest of the line is used for your internet connection. how fast this connection can be differs.... the further you live away from your nearest connection point, the less this speed will be (generally still broadband, but speeds of 8Mbit arent possible if you live bout 3km (2 miles for the US folk) away from phone connector.

speeds bout 512 are nearly always possible.......

dif Cable/(A)DSL

-ADSL has higher (theoretical) speeds possible.
    -Cable has a shared bandwith. this means that if your whole neighbourhood is downloading, your internet will be slower. ADSL doesnt have this problem.
    -cable speeds can be hacked........ here in holland, there was a progy on the net called "fuck chello", allowing you to up your internet connection speed (of course, the rest of the neighbourhood would have slower internet )
    -ADSL max speeds can easily be reached, getting cable maxed out will usually require you getting up really early (like 0300 (3 AM for US folk))

generally my advice:
    if you have a choice of cable/adsl, with (about the) same speeds, take ADSL, it has many advantages over cable..........

but also import: ask ppl from your neighbourhood what their experience with a certain ISP is&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dif ADSL/DSL

ADSL=Assymetric Digital Subscriber Line
    DSL= Digital Subscriber Line

the only diff is that with ADSL you dont have the same up- and download speed.
    so if you get an offer for 512/128 DSL it is actually ADSL, 256/256 ADSL is actually DSL............. (useless info now ain it? )
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12