Thread: Security-enhanced Linux

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    On a traditional Linux system, permissions and access control to files and processes are controlled completely by users. root is all powerful, and programs inherit a user's rights, meaning that when a program is compromised, that user is also compromised. In cases of a program run as root, that means the attacker has access to the whole system.

In the SELinux method, access is provided by a security policy set by the administrator and enforced by the system. There is no "all powerful root user".

Debian and Gentoo have already adopted such a method some time ago. However if you do not use one of thoose distributions it is a good idea to consider implementing SELinux if you maintain a server, or if you are responsible for maintaining a secure Linux enviorment.

You may download SELinux from The Narional Security Agency

I only recommend this for novice Linux users.

shn

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I still say Windows 95 is more secure than Linux

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA@21 February 2004 - 18:08
    You are wrong. Windows 3.1 is more secure than any o.s.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn+21 February 2004 - 18:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn &#064; 21 February 2004 - 18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LSA@21 February 2004 - 18:08
    You are wrong. Windows 3.1 is more secure than any o.s. [/b][/quote]
    Uhh no I just 0wned a win 3.1 box a few days ago, DOS 3.3 was giving me shit big time though....Microsoft don&#39;t play around when it comes to security that&#39;s for sure&#33;

I wouldn&#39;t even try to mess with a Windows box...